Chapter 38: Fight Song

The first rays of sunlight kissed the desert sands. General Sesotris and a few other men were on Sentry duty. Sargon's army was closer.

The old veteran's sharp eyes scanned the landscape. He didn't like how fast the army was approaching. But at the same time he felt a surge of excitement. It was like old times. The last war he had fought had been fifteen years ago. He could still feel that first youthful nervousness that quickly turned to wrath in his first war. The third war against Nubia. After Nubia's defeat Merenkahre brought peace and prosperity to both countries. Now that he was dead, Nubia had betrayed them.

The General's fingers found his way to the brass horn. They had at the most half an hour to get ready for an attack. He took a deep breath, brought the horn to his lips and blew.

-----------------------

His nerves were on an edge. He hadn't slept the whole night. So when the horn was blown Ahkmenrah almost single handedly collapsed the tent he was sitting in.

He heard brother mutter "Idiot" before getting up to help him up and to straighten the tent.

"I don't understand how calm you are at the moment. You even slept. And here I was a nervous wreck." Scoffed Ahkmenrah

"I don't know Ahk. I'm just...numb. It's like I don't know how to feel anymore."

There it was again. A point of difference. For the thousandth time in his life Ahkmenrah wandered how he and his brother had ever gotten along. They were so different. The moon and the sun.

In grim silence they put on their armor. Leather with hints of gold and silver. It felt strangely constricting. Both of them found it difficult to breath. But nonetheless they took a brave step outside the tent.

The preparations where in full swing. Their horses, Kahmunrah's white mare Nefertiti and Ahkmenrah's black stallion Narmer was brought to them.

When you're standing on the line. Don't go looking for goodbye. Thought Kahmunrah. It was mantra. Repeated over and over again. He had to brave. For his brother. For the army. For his country.

For Ahkmenrah he felt a sense of duty. The kind the weighed on your shoulders and brought you down until you couldn't get up again. He was not a stranger to such emotions.

But when his brother put a hand on his shoulder the young King felt as if he was given some of Kahmunrah's strength and courage.

"If we fail?" asked Ahkmenrah.

"Then we fail." He said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world as he started getting up on his horse. Once he felt comfortable enough he said. "But screw your courage to the sticking place and we will not fail."

Ahkmenrah nodded and he too got on his horse.

Both them thought the same thing:

I'm glad you don't know what I know.

They made their way to the front. The ordinary way would have been for them to stay at the back of the army. But they had discussed this before. They will be first to go battle and the last to retreat.

That was the mark of a true king. One that their father had been. He would have been proud.

Sabra and Kain were also at the head along with General Sesotris. There was no talk. In fact no one in the whole army was talking. There was only the clinking of swords and spears. They were positioned outside the city walls. They could have chosen any place on the desert. But the city walls provided a great advantage for the archers.

Their hearts beat faster and louder. The nerves were getting to them.

Suddenly there was utter silence. Not one sound from either side.

That was when the drummer boys started to play. Because before the battle of the fist becomes the battle of the mind.

Psychology.

Every soldier joined either by stomping, clapping even clashing their weapons together.

It was loud. It was threatening. It was passionate. It promised revenge. But it also promised a great deal of sacrifice.

This gesture, which Ahkmenrah now called a fight song, seemed to plant bravery in the hearts of its allies. But fear in heart and minds of its enemies. Indeed Kahmunrah's sharp eyes detected a flicker of uncertainty course through the Sumerian and Nubian army.

The 'fight song' ended with a loud passionate battle cry.

It was safe to say the Sumerian and Nubian army was frightened. When fear enters ones heart it is a gateway to defeat. Usually.

The nervousness that had built up in Ahkmenrah changed. He thought of his father. He thought of his people. He thought of Ptah and Nailah. Then he thought of Ramses. Sweet little Ramses. His nervousness changed to great anger. It changed to wrath.

It was like a fire had started in his heart, the flames now in his blood. Coursing through his veins. He will shine as brilliantly as the sun. He will a martyr for his country.

Kahmunrah's calmness remained. But he wanted revenge, revenge for all that had happened and revenge for Ramses. Wrath shone through him and in that moment he looked Majestic and seemed to shine. He will be the moon. He will shine when there is darkness. He couldn't care less if they lost.

Neither of the brothers did. As long as they shone and their army of stars shone with them, they will be remembered for generations to come.

"For Egypt and for her Gods!" Ahkmenrah cried. The army responded heartily.

With that he and Narmer charged into battle. He was probably the first King in history to have fought from the head. He could see Sargon at the rear of his own army.

Ahkmenrah raised his spear and thrust it into the heart of and oncoming soldier. That was the first kill. Ahkmenrah made the first kill of this war. And the first kill of his life.

----------------------------

Hey guys how was it?

Thank you heaps for 16k. Sorry for the late update but I hope you have enjoyed it so far.