Chapter 68: Heartless

Kahmunrah jerked out of bed before Ahkmenrah had barely aroused him. Cold sweat slid down his body and he took in deep breaths. The cold was the familiar dead of the night cold. He looked at Ahkmenrah for assurance, to see if he wasn't falling into another horrid dream.

He was met by his younger brother's frightened expression. He didn't like it. He was supposed to protect him from all dangers, he didn't want him to be scared.

"You...you...were kicking and screaming..." Stuttered Ahkmenrah.

"I...saw him again...Kain and I saw you...it all played out before me, the whippings and Kain's death. Ahk...am I going insane?"

"That's the trouble though. You could be walking through hell and I wouldn't know because of that stupid calm expression of yours and your smile. So to answer your question honestly...I don't know whether you're insane or not."

"Ahk I'm being serious."

"Well in that case, don't we all have our little quirks? Aren't we all a little insane?" He said with a strange smile.

Blessed your innocence. Thought Kahmunrah as he laughed.

"Ahk what would I do without you?"

Ahkmenrah pondered for a while. Before he finally answered "Many things."

---------------------------------------------------

Ismara lay in bed humming quietly to herself. It seemed all she could do was to be quiet, do nothing. Women often told her carrying a child was the most beautiful experience, for Ismara it was rather a bore.

The door creaked open. She didn't look up, ready to assume it was Kahmunrah.But when she did look up she couldn't believe her eyes. It was Ahkmenrah. Her heart tore when she saw his timid almost nervous expression.

"Ahk..." Her voiced came out hoarse.

From behind him stood Kahmunrah. She couldn't discern anything from his expression. Had he told him or not?

"I heard about what happened." Started Ahkmenrah. He looked so sweet and innocent, like a newborn lamb before her. Her heart drowned in the old memories, of the time they were together.

"I'm sorry Ahk..."

"No Ismara, I'm sorry. I should have protected you."

Protected her? From what? Kahmunrah?

"If I knew who the Sumerian man was who did this to you, I'd have him flayed alive..."

So Kahmunrah hadn't said anything. Why didn't it surprise her?

"What is done is done..." she said.

"If only I could mend the past..."

"We cannot, in life we must move on."

Move on from me she seemed to say I don't deserve you.

"Sabra told me all you did. It was brave of you, especially in your...condition."

He removed his hands from behind his back and in his hand she saw a magnificent gold necklace set with red jewels.

"I meant to give this to you, on the day of our engagement." He said quietly. "I can not offer you much, but I can still offer you this."

Ismara knew what this offer meant. Marriage. He, being the man he was wanted to save her from this plight. She couldn't marry him, she was already married. Besides she couldn't love him, not the way wife loves her husband. She could feel Kahmunrah's eyes trained to her like a hawk. She could feel the hurt and the pain radiating off him. Indeed it was a sight, seeing Ahkmenrah laying out his heart like this. It was naked in all its beauty and scars. For this Ismara burst into tears and shook her head.

"So you cannot love me?" Asked Ahkmenrah, surprisingly without expression.

Ismara shook her head. Ahkmenrah gave her a smile, a soft sad one.

"I still want you to keep it, as promise that Kahmun and I will do whatever we can, so that you and your child are not shunned."

Blessed your innocence. Kahmunrah thought the second time that day.

Just as Ahkmenrah turned to leave.

"Ahk." it was Ismara.

He turned his head towards her ever so slightly so that she won't see his tears.

"I'm sorry. For all that I have done. Do not be afraid of love because of me. I didn't deserve you."

His mind instantly drifted to Sabra, he smiled. "I'll be sure to take up your advice."

--------------------------------------

Sabra had just come back from inspecting the barracks with Sabaf. Since both had very high militaristic positions in the army they would have to work together from now on.

"Our stores have definitely depleted." said Sabra as Sabaf noted everything down. "So have the armour and weapons, not to mention this would be happening all over the country."

"Ahk and Kahmun are going to have headache." muttered Sabaf. "How are we to get all this when the country is on the brink of famine?"

"We won't."

"What?!"

"I mean I will put this forward of course, but this comes second after our people."

"But what if someone like Sargon tries to attack again."

"You forget the valour of our people Sabaf." she said with a cool smile. "We will exist, and strongly at that and we can do that without fancy gilded jewelled armour and gold swords. We've done it before haven't we?"

"I have a feeling your full of inspirational messages. Ahk chose well in choosing you as our Commander-in-Chief."

"Inspiration does not make a Commander-in-Chief Sabaf, though it is a huge part."

"There is meeting tomorrow." Said Sabaf changing the subject. "Will we put this through?"

"We'll see what is fit."

----------------------------------------

Ahkmenrah had spent a good few hours lying on his bed just letting his emotions drain all his energy. This had become a habit as of late. A habit he never thought would acquire.

Kahmunrah didn't say anything, as was his own habit. It was as if he knew Ahkmenrah needed space.

It was sunset by then.

"This day has been unproductive." Muttered Kahmunrah. "I hate unproductive days."

Ahkmenrah smiled. This was so typical of his brother.

"We are going to extremely busy tomorrow, with the meeting and all. I have a feeling it's not going to be all dandy."

"Well what did you expect after a war?"

"As bad as this may sound. I'm glad that we finally got some sort of action."

"That sounds terrible!" Replied Kahmunrah laughing "Honestly Ahk you heartless bastard!"

Ahkmenrah merely smiled.

-------------------------------------

Another chapter! Yay! Please tell me what you think! I'm just going to drown myself in writing...had the most embarrassing day today. :)