Chapter 53: Life and Death

In the eerie glow of the torchlight, their faces glows. The flames looked like small sunsets flickering about their faces. The women looked to Sabra as their leader. She had just read out the letter from Ismara. An eerie silence filled the ancient tomb, was it indecision? Surprise? Or weariness?

"Can I rely to your allegiance?" she asked them.

There was ripple of nods. Sabra felt relief, but also guilt. These women had barely been free for two days, and yet she was asking them risk their freedom. But no one seemed reluctant. Well that was what she could see from her eyes only.

She had already formulated a plan in his mind, it was just a matter of reaching them on time.

"What is the first part of the Plan?" asked a young girl.

Sabra smiled "We free the workers then we free the condemned also known as our former king, his brother and good friend."

-----------------------------

Kahmunrah had him hoisted on his shoulders. They were only six and three, but already Kahmunrah was tall and strong, in fact he looked like a ten year old. Ahkmenrah had his hands covering his older brother's eyes as they walked through the garden. It was a game they would play, Blind Man's Trust.

"Left!" he called. Kahmunrah turned left, three year old Ahkmenrah giggled at the motion of Kahmunrah turning left. "Right! Left! Now Spin!" the little toddler cried.

Kahmunrah gave smile, his beautiful smile that would become oh so rare in years to come, and spun around, Ahkmenrah still on his shoulders. Young Ahkmenrah giggled with delight. "Faster! Faster!" he cried. Kahmunrah heeded his word and spun faster.

Finally dizzy and out of breath both of them collapsed in the flowerbed laughing and smiling, out of breath.

Ahkmenrah never felt so alive. He could hear Kahmunrah panting beside him laughing uncontrollably. Kahmunrah soon sat up and Ahkmenrah being the little brother he was followed suite.

Kahmunrah then said "I'm surprised I didn't bump into a tree"

"Why?" asked the toddler.

"I don't know."

"Don't you trust me?"

"I trust you more than anyone else."

"Really?"

"Of course. Mama says you trust the people you love. I love you more than anything."

Ahkmenrah's face contorted into horror "But I don't want to marry you!" he exclaimed.

"That's not what I mean silly."

"Oh!"

"Do you want to play again?"

"Yes please! Can I carry you?"

Kahmunrah burst out laughing.

Ahkmenrah woke with a start. His heart sank to the very depths of his soul. His eyes filled with tears. That was thirteen years ago. Life had been so simple then. He had been happy. Most of all they had been together. They had not been alone.

"I love you too Kahmun..." he whispered. Though he knew Kahmunrah would never hear him.

He hadn't seen Kahmunrah since two days ago. What had happened to him? He couldn't get rid of the sinking feeling as a result he couldn't sleep. He tossed and turned until he eventually sat up. He turned to see Sabaf already awake. Looks like not many people could sleep tonight.