Chapter 54: The In Between

He heard the shouts and scream. Exclamations of surprise, of horror filled the air ringing in his ears. The sword clattered at his feet, he could feel the coolness of the metal despite the heat of the day. Kahmunrah opened his eyes and saw chaos. People, the ones forced to watch, trying to rush over to help? To rebel? He wasn't sure. The guards pushing them back. Some people were on the floor, he could already see two dead.

What could have caused such an outburst? His own death? But he didn't feel dead. Unless...

He turned. His executioner was dead, an arrow through his neck. On further inspection something was scratched on to the wood of the arrow. Thinking quickly he picked the sword from his feet and cut the roped tied around his wrists. Despite his weakened state he jumped to his feet, sword in hand and approached the dead executioner. He drew the arrow from the man's neck. It was slick with blood.

The scratching were hardly perceptible, only to be noticed by sharp eyes. In hieroglyphs it said:

Your Reflection

Kahmunrah smiled. Ismara, she had shot the arrow. He turned to see a flash of white cloth disappearing from the top a building.

Where no one else could save them, not only them but hope. She had done so. For killing them symbolised the killing of hope and she had presented them with hope.

Ismara the Mother of Hope. He thought. No realising how true that statement would become one day.

Suddenly he was thrown of balance, without breath he stumbled to the ground. He stumbled, quickly spun around still clutching both sword and arrow in his hands. The sword felt strange and unbalanced in his hand. He saw the man that called their names for execution.

"You're not getting away so easily" he exclaimed through gritted teeth.

The Sumerian man attacked. Kahmunrah blocked as best as he could. He ended up successful and braced himself for the next move. An almighty battle ensued between them two. Though it was obvious Kahmunrah was losing. With the strength he had left he kicked the man's knees, making him collapse to the floor. His knees were broken and he was unable to get up.

Kahmunrah turned away from the man, dizzy out of breath. Suddenly he felt something pulling at his legs.

Be wary of the injured tiger. For he may strike out. His father had told him those word, a long time ago. He remembered it now.

He felt himself falling to the floor.

He succumbed to darkness before his body fell.

----------------------------

Sabra was by his side in an instant. She helped untie the rope around his wrists as Kahmunrah picked up the sword to cut his own bonds. A sense of relief washed over him seeing his brother alive and feeling his wrists being freed.

"Did you shoot the arrow?" asked Ahkmenrah.

Sabra shook her head. "No...and I don't who did it but I'm grateful for them."

She then motioned for them to follow out of the din of battle that had started between the guards and Sabra's army. Ahkmenrah and Sabaf wanted to help the fight or at least help the women and children out, but they were as defenseless as newborn babes. They needed to get out, besides there was more of a chance that they would be killed if they fought and the army's efforts will be in vain. As they ran to safety Ahkmenrah hoped that Kahmunrah would follow close behind.

After a few minutes Ahkmenrah turned seeing that there was no Kahmunrah following from behind he realised Kahmunrah was in grave danger. Ahkmenrah turned back.