Chapter 91: Queen

As Ahkmenrah was being fairly trampled by the crowd Shepseheret caught the sight of Khufu edging slightly away from them, a certain malice in his eyes as he gazed at Ahkmenrah. She had never really thought of him as much of a threat, but now it all made sense. She had no doubt that he had killed her son and husband.

"Khufu..." she said quietly, his head whipped around to face her.

"My lady?" He questioned.

"I want you to investigate this attempted poisoning." She told him. "You are after all our family's most trusted advisor," she injected enough pleading and enough desperation in her tone to make it sound believable, but there was a certain truth to her next words "...I can't lose another son."

Khufu nodded.

"I shall do so immediately." He answered. "If I have your leave that is..."

"Go forth" She told him. "I expect the culprit on his knees by a fortnight."

She didn't fear for her son's safety now. The viper was in her hands.

—————

This is glory. Thought Ahkmenrah.

It wasn't wings of gold or endless mountains or tragedies with silver linings. It wasn't great statues or monuments. It was a breathless feeling and the throng of the crowd around him. It was the sweat, the vomit, the blood, the tears and the squalor and through it all was the flaming feeling of victory that scorched his mind.

He did not know why but somehow through this, he had won their trust. Perhaps they hadn't hated him after all but only doubted his dedication. Or perhaps it was the fact that he was reviving the old traditions which had livened their spirits. Or maybe it was the fact that he put his life on the line, he placed it in the hands of the gods, to win their trust and he had won it, despite the odds.

There was plenty of kisses, hands touching him as if he were a god. For the first time, he felt truly complete. He couldn't explain it. It was as if this was his destiny. As if this Heb-Sed cemented his kingship and brought him closer to his destiny on a spiritual level. It seemed the spirit had infected the crowd as well.

Perhaps he thought The Heb-Sed had some ancient mystical significance in the Duat, a real significance that helped the King gain strength and trust with his people, which is why I craved it so.

He felt as if he was drowning in the excitement of the people if one could drown in pleasure. He turned to his mother who smiled back at him. It took him a few good minutes to extricate himself from the crowd, but soon enough he was next to her and Ramses. He held out his hands to hold his nephew.

The baby scrunched up his nose and started crying.

"Not until you've had a bath!" reprimanded Shepseheret.

Ahkmenrah grinned, he felt like a child again.

—————

Sabra had been glad that she didn't have to kill him. She had been even gladder that he had survived the assassination attempt. Gladder yet when the crowd swarmed him with pure adoration. She paced the room. She had been given one in the palace, though she had resisted. There was to be feasting and banqueting, fine foods and fine dancing. And she dreaded it.

For one it brought back memories. Then there was the fact that she didn't really have fine clothes.

"You aren't going in that are you?" Asked Shepseheret incredulously.

Sabra turned unsurprised. The royal family, it seemed had a habit of sneaking up on people.

"I am the General of Generals." She answered looking down at her attire of leather and white linen.