"A Great Cause"

Based on episode of Shameless - season 2 episode 10 - "A Great Cause"

Me and my mum were carving the one pumpkin we had for Halloween. It's strange this is the first year we have ever done this. By this I mean the first year she has spent time with me. I liked that she's changed.

"Why does the eye look wonky." I say pointing at the eye she just did. She nudges me "it does not. Take that back. My creation is beautiful."

"Sure." I say rolling my eyes she pushes me jokingly. I start carving the other eye when Jake runs down the stairs "what's this?" He asks me holding a piece of paper.

"Probably some rubbish. Throw it." My mum says watching me try to crave the other eye ten times better than hers. 

"No it's not. It says 'help for underprivileged youth' he reads out tut card." I turn my head and drop the stencil.

"Oh. That," I say sitting down my mother and Jake do the same "I don't know I just thought I would start. I don't know looking at colleges with this program." I replied moving my feet under the chair.

"Really. Oh that's wonderful." My mother replies making me shocked that she reacted that way. Jake agrees. "Haven't you got a whole year left though?" She questions.

"Well yeah but all the kids in my year will apply later on in the year and so I thought if I apply now then I'm more likely to get in." I passionately say. Jake nods "your right. Usually the kids who apply later loose their spot."

"How a how about we apply to look at some colleges on tours. Normally the tours are free if you send emails or letters stating you love to go there?" Jake asks me. Wow they are trying really hard.

"Sure. I had a few in mind." I tell all the ones I had in mind most were local and Jake and my mum said they would see if there are any tours going on. I knew it would be weeks before we could do the tours but still this got me excited.

The door starts bashing mid my conversation Jake goes to get it me and my mother walk into the living room and watch the door. Ian falls in quickly shutting the door and locking it.

I run over and help him to the couch. "You alright. You look scared." I said sitting next to him on the couch. He shakes his head "Mandy's pregnant." I gasp. Jake and my mother are still listening in.

"Do you mind." I say to them both, they both turned away and walk upstairs.

"What the fuck do I do? Mandy's dad thinks I'm the one who knocked her up he's coming after me." Ian vents holding his head in his hands. I rub his back. I have no clue what to say. I just listen as he rants on.