s i x

It was day two after the disappearance of my mother.

Luke continued to sit in the hollows of his self pity by not speaking a word and not sleeping a blink. He sat and thought back to the memory's of another mans lips on his wife's, and at the moment I realized that not all memories were good. That not all of them were worth remembering.

I was saddened as well. For who wouldn't be? I grew up with this women, the women that birthed me, but also the women that seemed as if she's been ignoring me since Luke had come into her life. But I suppose I was in the fault too, because I was also consumed by his light and captivating eyes.

The only difference was that It wasn't much of a surprise that my mother would cheat, but to Luke it was as if he never expected it. And that was the sad thing. He didn't expect it.

I looked into his bedroom door that remained open, and I watched as his shoulders lightly bobbed with his face in my mothers pillow. He still hadn't showered, and I've never heard his voice since the night my mother never returned.

A night in which he continued to look through the blinds of the windows each time a car passed, and cursed under his breath each time they neglected to stop.

"Dad?" I whispered softly to the broken man that used to be so strong. "Im making us your favorite, come and eat with me." I pleaded.

But he remained silent. Silent in his own thoughts that he would surely fall and drown in.

I sat and watched his toned back sink upward and downward with each breath that he struggled to take, and walked one more step into his bedroom before speaking:

"You can't sit in your own thoughts for too long," I told him. "Because it'll end up eating you alive."

And with that I turned on my heel and walked away towards my bedroom, forgetting my plans to cook and replaced them with new plans to sit on my bed with my new laptop in my lap.

I opened the top only to see the Group Chat website still open from my last encounter.

About three or four new messages lit up on the upper left corner of the screen, and I deleted each one after seeing that all of them involved the words "tits for dick".

I laughed at the way that boys thought.

How they thought that girls actually liked seeing their penis.

How they thought girls actually touched themselves to those pictures of their untouched virgin dicks.

I shook my head at my thoughts and hovered my cursor over my short and sweet conversation with DaddyH, reading over the dirty words once more before cracking a grin and pressing the red X beside it, confirming its deletion.

My head arose as footsteps were heard from down the hallway near my bedroom door, and it took me a short few seconds to realize that I wasn't just imagining things and that Luke was actually up and now in my doorway.

My lips parted at the sight of him.

Red rings surrounding his eyes, and the bright color that used to captivate them were darkened. Like two pits of deep, dark oceans that had inexistent bottoms.

"Winnie," he said softly, not fully trusting his voice enough to speak aloud. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

I nodded quickly in reply, patting a spot beside me on my bed and closing my laptop.

The bed sunk as he sat beside me, and I watched as he wiped another forming tear with the heel of his large hand.

I hated seeing Luke like this. But the thing was, I expected this from my mother.

Especially from knowing her past, a past that even Luke hadn't known about.

The past in which she would arrive home at three in the morning with her red lipstick smeared and mascara dripping, letting me know as a child that she cried after doing some serious make out sessions with strange men.

I know now she did it for the money that we could have to pay rent, and the countless babysitters that I've had needed money too, so she stayed longer nights.

Longer nights, more makeup and lingerie. The full package of my mothers life before Luke.

"I'm just going to spit it out," Luke said with a trembling lip. "If your mother doesn't come back-"

"Daddy," I interrupted, putting my hand on top of his strong one. "She will." I felt the lie lingering upon my tongue after I spoke, for what Luke needed was hope. Even if the hope seemed inexistent.

"Her drawers are empty Winnie."

My breath stopped from his words, and it felt as if a rock was being dropped into the pit of my stomach. For realization hit me. Dark, cold realization at the truth.

And shit, the truth really does hurt.

I mean, I knew she left, but I suppose my body and mind didn't want me to believe it. But now that I know she had actually packed her things and walked out the door, out of her own daughter and husbands life without even a goodbye, it hit me good.

Like a solid punch to the gut.

It was something I only imagined happening in movies or in other people's life's. Where the mother leaves her family for a better life without her old life or anything from it: AKA, me and Luke.

The truth is what killed me inside, and the truth is what made my life and many others life's a total train wreck.

And before I could even think about saying another word, my face was in the crook of Luke's neck, and salty tears were falling from my face and onto his warm tanned skin.

I never thought I would cry about this. Especially since my mother never payed much mind to me. But she was still the women who birthed me, a women that brought me into this world, even if the world was shit.

I felt Luke's hand stroke my hair slowly, and I cried harder from his warm and comforting contact.

He is my stepfather, and I didn't regret it when the thoughts of being in love with him passed through my brain.

Because it was true, and the truth did, and will continue to hurt.

_____

SO sorry for the late update! Was failing four classes and had to get that grade up or else my mom would take my phone.

And you know what no phone means?

NO PORN.

(Double update later?)

-Bailey xoxo