t h i r t y - o n e

Luke

I thanked the taxi driver after paying him, and watched as he drove away instead of at the house at first. Maybe I was a bit fearful to see it again, it's just been so long.

I moved my feet against the concrete road, remembering that this was the exact place I was taken away from Winnie. And then the green grass in the front yard that was overly grown, the place where I was being cuffed and practically dragged in front of Winnie's teary eyes.

I walked across it slowly, taking in each detail about the house that I haven't seen in a years time.

It was still, silent. The only sound being heard was the cars driving across the road and the slight wind pulling through the trees, moving my hair in the process.

I think back to when I was a teenager, delivering rolls of newspapers to this same house back when my ex wife lived there. She would always stare at me through her window as I neared her door and smile, I usually smiled back to her to be nice, but also because she was really attractive. Especially for her age.

I guessed that she was in her twenties, and found it strange how she would continuously flirt with me. But one day she invited me inside on a day that she said her daughter was gone and at her grandmothers house.

That day, I lost my virginity. It went on for a while, all until I moved off to college in which I only stayed for a year or two due to money issues. During that time however, I was with many girls. I was young, young and curious.

And when I moved back Kiersten was looking through her window, smiling.

Then more sex with her occurred, of course. And then marriage soon afterward.

She had a way of captivating my mind, I had no clue what it was, but up until the day she broke my heart for her daughter to mend it afterwards, I lost all the love for her.

And now, after all that time, I was back at the same spot.

Except no kiersten looking through the window, only emptiness in where my life used to be.

I neglect to move, to breathe, for I was home. However nothing is home without her, Winnie. She, like her mother did once, captivated me as well. Except she was kinder, gentler, all I could ask for in a woman. So I wasted no time and began to walk towards the front door with a smile on my face.

But in seconds, after all these years it only took second, and I heard a scream.

A blood curdling scream that had goosebumps forming on my skin. It was familiar, the voice, it was like honey from the throat of an angel.

Except this scream wasn't for a good reason and I could tell, so I stepped up just like I did many years ago when the old drunk touched that little girl that I knew as Kiersten's daughter, that day she never screamed, for she knew not of what was happening.

But this scream, this was a knowing scream. The scream of a woman that is now knowing of the world and it's horrid realities.

And in just seconds, the once little girl, and now woman, was in my arms to stay.

"Winnie," I said, my voice shaky.

She sobbed against my chest, and I realized that she had been crying before even setting eyes on me.

I then looked up towards the opened front door to see a black haired boy with anger clear on his face. Anger and a bit of jealously filled me at the fact there was a boy with her, but more important the boy was stumbling as he walked and seemed as if he were dizzy.

I held Winnie tighter to my body as he neared closer.

"Did he hurt you?" I asked, clenching my jaw, and she looked up at me with parted lips.

"He tried to- to touch," she mumbled, as if shocked at the sight of me. I would have to explain later, because I was already practically stomping towards the boy with the thick glasses and shoving him towards the nearest wall.

"Did you touch her?" I shouted, getting in his face, feeling anger boil in my blood. He didn't answer, only confused as to who I was until realization caught up with him.

I instantly grabbed his glasses and broke them in half, throwing them across the room afterwards. "Answer me!"

He flinched, and I could immediately smell the alcohol on his breath.

I turned my head to Winnie, seeing that she was watching with parted lips and wide eyes. She stopped sobbing, and I think she was simply shocked and confused by my arrival.

"What are you-" the boy asked, confused as well. And it took me a moment, but I began to realize that this was the kid that caused the girl down the street to move away. Something about him leaking her nude pictures and becoming physical with her, it was so much on the family that they flat out moved away.

It was the neighborhood buzz, and this was the kid responsible.

And he was with Winnie.

"Answer my god damn question or you're gonna give me a real reason to go to prison." I snapped, not turning away from his eye contact, my goal being to intimidate him.

"She wanted it," he stood taller, causing me to wrap one hand around his throat and pin him to the wall.

"Luke!" She shouted, and my head spun in her direction. The way she said my name, the way the word was like sugar from her tongue, it captivated me even while I had a kid in a choke hold.

"You can't leave me again," she said, tears spilling down her face once more. "Don't do anything that will make you get in serious trouble-"

And right then I felt a hard fist being thrown at my nose, making me yell out in pain.

"No! Calum!" She shouted, and I shoved him forcefully as the dizziness in my head began to disappear. I threw a punch or two, all I could get as I noticed Winnie try and break it up.

I couldn't risk hurting her, nor could I risk him hurting her either.

"Stop, please!" She said, and at that point Calum was on top of me throwing punches that I tried my best to block.

Then with the corner of my eye, I saw Winnie look around in a panic, and before I could stop her she was grabbing her mothers glass vase and pouring the dead flowers out before doing the unthinkable, and slamming it onto Calum's head.

And afterward, I looked into the darkened, lifeless eyes of Calum hood as blood poured from his mouth.

____

(A/N)

I'm gonna take this sad moment as an opportunity to ask you guys to follow my Instagram it's @woah.itsbee I FOLLOW BACK USUALLY.

And FUN FACT.. I was actually thinking of killing off our Winifred in this chapter...Yeah not really a fun fact but

-Bailey xoxo