f o u r t e e n

Luke was silent when I told him a friend was coming over to complete a project with me.

He was silent with a clench resting in his jaw when I told him that his name was Joseph, for Luke most likely assumed it would be a girl.

Wrong.

He didn't protest to my surprise. Probably because it was for school work. But he did, however, make me promise to keep the bedroom door open. Just like any parent in their right mind would do.

I texted Joseph my home address after we had hung up, and he replied by saying that he would be on his way as soon as school ended. And at this time exactly, I knew he was here by the ring of the doorbell.

Naturally, I was fairly nervous. This was the first guy my age to come to my house, and bedroom, throughout all of my high school years.

And he was cute, sexy even.

The way his dark hair fell upon his forehead each time he looked down at a test paper before scowling at it afterwards, for they always seemed to be double sided.

Or the way he would be called on to read a paragraph of a classic novel, and would stutter every now and then from stumbling upon a big fancy word that people only used in the olden days.

He would laugh along with everybody that laughed at him, but really I think he just wanted to hide his hurt.

I ran my hands down my hair in front of my mirror and tried to hide my visible nervousness.

Why the hell am I nervous now, but wasn't when I was groping my step fathers crotch? I ignored the thought and rushed to the front door.

But of course, Luke had beaten me to it.

"You must be Johnny." Luke said, not even attempting to try and smile. I closed my eyes and clenched my jaw. Luke knew his name was most certainly not Johnny.

"Joseph," He corrected him with a smile, holding out his hand for Luke to shake.

He did, thankfully.

"Just here for school work, I hope." Luke said to Joseph, still shaking his hand with what looked like a harsh grip.

Joseph looked visibly uncomfortable with his words, and I was practically red in the face at this point.

"We're going to my room now," I walked in-between the two boys and smiled up at Joseph, my back now to Luke.

Wow, I thought mentally. He was taller than I remembered.

I felt the presence of my "step father" behind me disappear, and Joseph's eyes fell to mine before a smile captivated his features, and then his lips parted to speak:

"Shall we get started?"

__

I was looking too much at his face and toned arms to notice he was holding a poster board in his hands when he walked in the door.

I got the markers and colored sharpies out of the jacket closet in the hallway that was stuffed with candy land, chutes and latter's, UNO, you name it, we have it.

Luke loved family game nights back when my mom was happily married to Luke.

He would always want to play monopoly, but my mother and I made him play UNO with us simply because it was less complicated. However, he still found a way to beat us both.

My mother would always try to cheat, resulting in Luke calling her out and kissing her whilst laughing against her lips. I would look away each time.