t h i r t y - t h r e e

Luke's words sent a chill down my spine, and I couldn't believe what he was saying.

"Luke, no." I told him after a few minutes of silence.

He stood on his feet and turned towards me, confusion filling his eyes.

"Do you realize what has happened, Winnie?" He asked with pinched brows.

I tried to speak, but my voice didn't seem to want to come out. I mean, how could I with Calum's body on the floor beside me?

"It was self defense, they will detect alcohol in his blood, we won't get in trouble-"

"I can't go to jail again." He cut in, giving me realization of why he was so afraid.

Prison had to have traumatized him.

"I did this, not you." I told him, letting my gaze drop to the blood stained floor.

He neared me just then, and pressed his pointer finger under my chin so I was looking into his eyes that had fear and sadness lurking behind the color.

"I know, but I wouldn't dare let you go there. Never." His voice held fear, and it caused me to grab his warm face in my hands.

"I love you Luke, I'm not going anywhere. He tried to hurt me, and he tried to hurt you too." I hesitated and watched as he began to nod. "This was all self defense and they will believe me."

"Okay." Was all that he said before I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and dialed 911, trying my hardest to hold back my fear.

_

Luke held my hand as they took Calum away in a black body bag, and the only sound other than the deafening silence was his mothers very loud sobs.

I cried as well, knowing that I caused all of this.

I answered the door thinking it was going to be a normal day, a great day. Until Calum had to go off drinking, however I was thankful that Luke was back with me before it could have gone too far.

I squeezed his hand, and he pulled me to his chest as I began to sob onto his shirt that was now moist with my tears.

We talked to the cops, and after they found alcohol in his blood and saw that Luke's nose was broken, they believed that he was a threat to us both.

Calum's mother didn't speak to me once, only attempted to grab her son through the body bag.

Luke didn't cry once, only held me tight, for this was my best friend.

Was.

I held onto Luke as if he would disappear, as if this was some sick dream and he would vanish as soon as I awoke. I assumed that he noticed, for when he looked down at me his face said it all.

"It's okay." He mouthed to me over the cops and detectives conversations. And after a couple of hours full of questions and checking Luke's nose and popping it back into place, they, and Calum, were gone.

We sat on the couch in a bittersweet silence for a while, contemplating on what to do or say.

I simply held his hands, tracing over his warm skin with my fingertips gently until he smiled a small but warm smile.