t w e n t y - t w o

Kiersten

The plane landed hours ago, and all I could think about as me and Ashton checked into the nicest hotel room I've seen in years, was Winifred's birthday. It was midnight, therefore I knew it was today.

I wondered what she was doing. I wondered if Luke was still okay and well, I wondered if he was fully over me. Which I dearly hoped he was.

And as for my Winnie, well just Winnie, since I don't have the right to have her mine anymore, I wished she was happy. This was her first birthday without me.

And because I knew Winnie didn't like parties, Luke most likely attempted to make her a cake and take her out to eat. I hope that's what they did, at least.

When I was there that's what we did together. All before Luke took over and became Winnie's favorite, which I didn't blame her for.

Luke's a lovable man, a man that deserved love more than anybody. And it killed me knowing I wasn't the one to grant him that. But I was also happy, because I knew I was a terrible person.

"Are you okay, baby girl?" Ashton asked me and untied the red bandana from his hair before leaning down and placing a sloppy kiss on my lips. I knew we haven't had sex since Luke caught us kissing, and I also knew that Ashton was getting antsy.

"Not now," I told him, folding my completed letter to Luke and stuffing it inside an envelope along with the monthly rent money that I always mailed to them.

I owed at least that to them.

Ashton rolled his eyes. "We could use that money for something useful. He's a grown man, I'm sure he can get a job on his own."

"He had a job."

"Yeah at a bar." He hesitated to sit in front of me and place kisses down my neck. "Anybody can serve a few drinks." Ashton added.

"Ashton," I said lightly, attempting to push him away, but stopping my actions as his long fingers traced along my inner thighs. It was a weakness of mine, and he knew it.

"It's my daughters birthday."

Ashton sighed with his lips hovering over my neck, and took a moment to peck my warm skin before backing away.

"Listen, I know it's hard. And it will be hard for a while, but you made this decision Kiersten. You can't just go back." He said and turned on his heel to go to the bathroom to fix his hair for what seemed like the hundredth time.

I wished I could go back. But it would hurt them both too much.

I would just send the letter, and get on with my life so they could get on with theirs. And hopefully, it would be happier than mine ever was.

_

Winnie

Day one.

A day after Luke was taken from me has passed, and I was now at my grandmothers house an hour from where I once called home. Home with Luke, home with love and happiness with me.

And yeah, it was my eighteenth birthday too.

A day that was supposed to be celebrated with friends and Luke by my side. A day that was supposed to be spent kissing Luke and doing whatever I wanted with him, public or not. For I was legal, and it would have been okay.

However when I was weak I had sex with him two days before my birthday.

Two days got in the way of everything.

How could two days take away from years of when I was with Luke?

"Winifred?" My grandmother, and also my mothers mother asked.