luke & winnie: christmas

The aroma of the room was filled with different candle scents. Luke picked out the candy cane one, and I picked a cinnamon roll one, which in my opinion is so much better.

"I still can't believe we found these." I smiled and picked up a sky blue snowflake ornament before placing it on one of the tiny Christmas tree branches.

I used to have the same exact kind back when my grandmother and I used to decorate her own tree together. We would bake cookies and I would squeeze colored icing on them, licking my fingers afterward hoping I wouldn't get caught. Then we would build a ginger bread house, usually resulting in it tumbling over surrounded by gumdrops and globs of white icing, however we didn't care.

That was back when I was young. Young and innocent and full of family that I never imagined could break apart. I mourned some nights when I thought of it, for how could I not?

My grandmother still wouldn't answer my phone calls, and I teared up each time the call would end on the first ring. Thankfully though, Luke had his hand on my shoulder each time that it happened, picking up my broken pieces and practically glueing them back in place with a sweet kiss on the lips.

I was thankful for that, and so much more thankful for him.

In fact, Just the other day, Luke had proposed to me.

It wasn't in an extravagant or expensive way, for we didn't need it to be. It was simply a cold morning laying in bed with our bodies practically in sync with each other when he stared at me for the longest time, and finally told me that he wanted to marry me.

I remember laughing and telling him to go back to sleep, not believing what I was hearing. All until the next morning he came out of his closet with a small black box in his hand, full of what would become our own future.

I of course squealed and jumped into his arms, finally having the constant memory of my mother doing the same exact thing years ago out of my mind for good. Her arms were now my arms, and her man was now mine. I smiled at the thought and kissed his lips before we had our own little congratulations party in our bed with our lips, bodies and minds tangled together as if it weren't possible for them to be separate.

And just the next day, Luke typed away at my laptop and printed up a white piece of paper before cutting it into a square. It took exactly twenty minutes until he was coming up to me with a mischievous grin upon his lips, having me instantly grab the paper from his fingers and reading the fresh, cursive black ink.

It was a wedding invitation, ours.

"I thought we agreed to have the wedding on Christmas, just the two of us?" I remembered saying to him with a cocked brow.

Over the years, each of our family's has found out about what Luke and I have become, and slowly but surely and one by one each of them vanished. We accepted it after a while, realizing that if all we could have was each other then that would be that.

"I know," he replied that day. "Just thought I'd send it to our biggest fan." I remembered him winking, and already knew by his expression that he was talking about Kiersten.

She didn't deserve the whole mom title any longer.

My eyes widened and my lips parted, for I was in a way shocked by the idea, however still curious at what she would think of it.

She'd be pissed, I thought to myself with a smile similar to Luke's.

And just like that, we found her new address through ties to Facebook and sealed it in an envelope before sending it off and walking side by side back into our own place.