t h i r t y - f i v e

"It's beautiful." I smiled as I looked around the finished apartment.

The white curtains were hung, the pots and pans were put away, the couches sat in the living room with our tv in front of it, everything was complete in just a weeks time.

It already felt like home, and by the look in Luke's eyes I could tell that he was thinking the same thing.

But before he could speak he was lifting his head and sniffing the air, "Shit, it's burning-" he said, and vanished from the room afterwards. 

I laughed and shook my head, turning to look at my MacBook that sat upon my small desk against the shiny and new pastel white walls just after.

I opened it for the first time in what seemed like forever, and moved my finger around the touch pad before watching it light up and come to life.

My school work popped up from back from when I did classes online while Luke was away, however that was not what caught my eye.

I then moved the cursor to a tab that I had neglected to exit out of, seeing an all too familiar logo.

It was the same Group Chat that I went on when I was seventeen, the same one that Luke went on as well, except disguised as somebody else.

I smiled while looking through the old conversations between me and him, holding back my laughs by biting my lip so that Luke would not hear me.

DaddyH- you like daddy dicks? It read.

HoneyBear69- love them.

I rolled my eyes at the remembrance of how stupid I was, for that could have been anybody. Little did I know, however, Luke was in the same house as me typing away on his own work computer.

Let's just say the things we were doing wasn't exactly work related.

I jumped slightly as I heard Luke's footsteps behind me, and before I could even begin to click out of the tab he was already leaning towards the screen with a wide grin.

"Seems like so long ago." He said, shaking his head while scrolling through the conversation.

"It was." I replied, neglecting to stare at the screen as some not so appropriate photos appeared.

"I can't believe you did that," he laughed, clicking on my naked photo that I sent to him so that it was full screen.

"Luke!" I groaned, pushing his hands away from the laptop before attempting to exit out of the tab.

"What? It's hot!" He pushed my hands back as well, and to my own horror saving it to a file afterwards.

I stood back in defeat, but this time laughing in a way that I haven't in a long time.

"You're an ass." I crossed my arms and slumped my shoulders like an upset thirteen year old, watching just after as he turned towards me.

"I am what I eat." He closed his eyes and laughed as I swatted at his arm, laughing as well.

We were always like this; we could tell dirty jokes and laugh together despite our age. And in a way, he's my best friend as well as my boyfriend.

He kisses my forehead when I go to sleep and mocks the characters on stupid TV shows that we watch and laugh at together. We were both friends and lovers, as much as I despise that word. For lovers sounds so formal, like something you would read in an old novel. While with us it's simply companionship, trust, and hope for our future that we both deeply hope inside that involves the both of us. And honestly, I couldn't ask for anything better.

And God, who knew all of this could start and end with a god-damn Group Chat.

"That reminds me though- I didn't burn the cake, I took it out just in time." His smile was contagious as he grabbed my hand and led me to the kitchen, showing me the chocolate cake that lay beautifully on top of the oven.

"Well it's about time you did it right, Lucas." I joked, pinching a small piece of warm cake from the top of it before popping it into my mouth.

"Great, now you fucked it up." Like rolled his eyes and smiled, grabbing the tub of vanilla icing and twisting the lid off afterwards.

"Hey, why'd you even make a cake again?" I chuckled, leaning against the kitchen counter that me and Luke made certain memories on just a day before. I blushed at the thought.

Luke paused for a moment while sticking a butter knife into the icing before smoothing it onto the cake. "Kind of just redoing it from your last birthday." He said, and I looked up at him with my lips parted, not expecting that answer what so ever.

"You didn't have too-"

"I did. For some reason while I was gone all I could think about was that stupid unfinished cake and how it was probably lying around for you to see all the time."

I wanted to say you have no idea, but I bit my lip and kept my words from spilling as he spoke.

"Happy birthday Winnie." He said, and laid the cake in front of me on the counter.

I blinked rapidly, holding back sudden tears before grabbing Luke's face and kissing him.

"I love you." He whispered against my lips, and I smiled in reply, whispering the same thing back to him.

___