Chapter Thirty-Six

My mom and whoever else helped had made more than enough for the whole family. They went all out too. There was Molcajete de Carnes, a personal favorite, Nopales, Enchiladas, Chile rojo, and rajas con queso, chicken pozole verde. We of course had dessert which consisted of Arroz con leche, Churros, La gelatina, and el flan. There was way more on the long table and I'm sure people would be taking plates home.

Alessandro was looking at the food with slightly wide eyes. "Have you ever had any of this?" I asked with a smile.

"These are Nopales, right?" I nodded. "Those are good. I've never had any of this other stuff." I laughed, Moon in my lap but trying to get onto the table to see everything.

"Animals aren't allowed at the table." My mom, who sat right in front of me, said with annoyance.

"Then maybe you should leave." Her eyes shot up to meet my gaze and I held it. She thinks because I'm her daughter I'll respect her but after all the shit she put me through she can go to hell.

"Respect your mother." My dad said, leaning back in his seat and probably on his fifth beer.

"You never did." Mom slammed her hand down on the table and everyone's attention went to her.

"¿Podemos tener una cena familiar en la que no estés actuando como un niño?" Her eyes, as usual, showed nothing to me but anger and hatred. I wanted to say something so bad but the hand on my thigh gave me the reassurance that I'll be fine and to just be quiet for now. "Gracias." She said in a rude manner.

I really wanted to leave but they wouldn't throw this big gathering if it wasn't important. "What should I get?" Alessandro asked as everyone started digging into the food.

"Chile rojo and chicken pozole verde to start. These two." I pointed to them and he nodded with a smile. I liked to see him trying things out with me, especially if I've had them over a hundred times. My plate was filled with El flan, rajas con queso, and chicken pozole verde. I passed him a water and beer, feeling my moms eyes staring at me.

She was likely judging me for not fixing his plate but he was more than capable enough to do it on his own. Yes, I'd fix his plate from time to time but only when I wanted to. Luckily she didn't comment on it.

Everyone started speaking amongst themselves in Spanish. "Elora debe avergonzarse de tener una hija así." I pursed my lips to keep from saying anything. Damien looked at Aunt Lucia and Ambria with a dirty look, telling them to shut the hell up.

"Thank you." I smiled at him he nodded. He'd always been the golden child, the one my mom adored. I looked down at my lap to see Moon sleeping peacefully. I wish I could sleep through this dinner.

"Damien, mijo, how has law school been?" Yes law school is an interest we both got from our dearest mother.

"Good. I bet Athena could give me a few pointers to pass my class. Seeing as she is one of the best in Atlanta." I smiled as some people clapped and Alessandro leaned over to kiss my cheek.

"Or I could. I know Athena's really busy with her... personal affairs." This is why no one like you now, always ruining something good for the rest of us.

"Mamá." Damien said and she shrugged. "How's the case going?"

"Good so far. It's honestly so hard, I'm up all night putting things together. I'm grateful that he sometimes stays up with me, giving me coffee, back rubs, foot massages. He's a real sweetheart." Alessandro looked at me and I could see the happiness in his eyes, the blush crawling up his neck.

"Oliver was as well." Damien sighed, already knowing where this was going to go.

"No he wasn't. He treated me like trash."