Chapter 53: Madara

Gaara and I went to bed shortly after he proposed. I was glad to finally rest as I was exhausted still from the day before, though I wasn't about to tell Gaara that and have him fretting over me. In the morning we both got up in the morning to get ready to see Naruto and the others off.

"You're beautiful." Gaara whispered in my ear as he passed me to head downstairs. I smiled warmly as I finished getting ready and followed him. Temari and Kankuro smiled at us as we headed to the village entrance.

"Thank you all again for saving Gaara and I." I thanked Naruto and the others.

"Of course." Sakura took notice of the new ring on my finger.

"Mia, is that an engagement ring?" She questioned. Now everyone was looking at Gaara and I. I looked at Gaara, not sure if he was ready to tell everyone.

"It is." Gaara said, smiling at me. I get my face flush.

"And when we're you planning on telling us?" Temari remarked, clearly offended we hadn't told her and Kankuro.

"After everyone left. And in private." I sighed as I'm sure the guards at the entrance were already letting the rest of the village know.

"Did Kakashi-sensai know?" Naruto asked. That I didn't know myself.

"I did. Lord Kazekage came to me personally to ask."

"Please don't call me Lord Kazekage."

"You know that's not happening, Gaara-kun." I chuckled. "So who's ready to teleport back to the Leaf Village?" I smiled brightly.

"Have you used this on a person before?" Sakura asked.

"Once."

"And how did that turn out?"

"Um not exactly the best, but it got them to where they needed to be." I admitted. "But that was almost five months ago. I've perfected it since then." She didn't look confident.

"Give it a shot." My dad encouraged me.

"Okay." I smiled. I let go of Gaara's hand and made the hand signs for the jutsu. "Ice Transportation Jutsu." The ice formed a circle behind them that showed the Leaf Village. "All you have to do is walk through." I explained. They all waved before headed through the portal. I made it disappear after they were all on the other side.

"That's a lot better than they were before." Temari praised.

"Like I said I've been perfecting it slowly. It still takes a lot of chakra though. My chakra control for this isn't the best, even when I'm transporting myself." I panted as I felt the strain.

"Are you going to be okay?" Kankuro asked.

"Yeah, just need to rest." Okami came to my side, leaning against me so I had some stability. "Thanks buddy." I pet his head softly.

"C'mon, let's head to my office." I followed them all to the Kazekage's office. Gaara immediately sat down and started working.

"Do you need help?" I asked. I had been helping him recently to make sure he got enough sleep when he was done.

"Right now I'm good. There is something I wanted to talk to the three of you about." We looked at him and saw the seriousness on his face. He was Kazekage now. "The meeting of Kages is coming up soon and I need someone to stay here and make sure the village is looked after." I knew Temari and Kankuro were Gaara's guards when he went to other villages.

"I'll stay." I stated. "It's the most obvious choice. Temari and Kankuro have always been your guards and you put me in charge of the Anbu so it's best if I stay here. The village will be safe you have my word." A month ago Gaara had placed me as the head of the Anbu since I was the best at stealth. Plus Gaara trusted my judgment and input unlike some of the members of the council who were still doubtful of him and his abilities. He frowned.

"I worry about you being here alone." I knew that wasn't because he thought I couldn't handle myself. But because of the Akatsuki.

"I won't be alone. I have Okami and I have all the Anbu and other members of the village." I smiled. "You don't need to worry about me." He sighed.

"Alright. But if something goes wrong I want to know immediately." I gave a firm nod.

*two weeks later*

Gaara was getting ready to leave for the Leaf Village for his meeting. I stood at the entrance of the village as Temari, Kankuro and Gaara looked at me.

"Take care and say hi to everyone for me." I smiled.

"Mia, are you sure you don't want Kankuro or I to stay instead?" Temari asked once more. She had been asking me since I said I would stay.

"For the last time, Temari. Yes I'll be okay. Just enjoy your trip." I chuckled.

"Okay..." they all turned to leave.

"Lady Hosaka!" They stopped as one of the Anbu appeared in front of me.

"What is it?" I questioned. He handed me a scroll. I opened it quickly and frowned.

"Mia?" Gaara asked when he noticed my face. I looked at him.

"Itachi Uchiha is dead." They all froze too.

"What? But who—?" Temari started.

"Sasuke." I said firmly. "I had some of the Anbu try to keep tabs on him and they witnessed the fight themselves."

"We'll that's good right? One less member of the Akatsuki." Kankuro stated.

"Mhm." I frowned.

"Mia, there's something else isn't there?" Gaara walked towards me.

"It can wait until you get back. You should get going or you'll be late." I stated.

"Mia—"

"Lord Kazekage, you need to get going. I'll have some of the Anbu accompany you to the border." I nodded to two of them as they appeared beside Temari and Kankuro. "Take care." I forced a smile as they left. I looked back down at the scroll feeling my blood run cold as I looked at the contents:

Madara Uchiha has returned...