Chapter 27: A Choice to Make

Gaara, Temari and Kankuro stayed with me for the rest of the day, explaining to me what happened after I went unconscious. Apparently, Kakashi had brought Naruto back unconscious and really badly hurt. Sasuke and him had fought and he lost. Kiba and Akumaru were going to be okay along with Choji and Neji.

"At least everyone is going to be okay." Temari muttered, something looked to be bothering her but she didn't say what.

"Gaara, how did this happen?" Kankuro asked after a while as he took in the full extent of my injuries.

"He was stronger than he looked. He took a Chidori and it didn't even scratch him." I looked away from everyone as I thought about how useless I had been in that fight. I clenched my fists underneath the covers, not wanting Gaara and them to see how upset I was. "It took everything I had to beat him and it still wasn't enough, if it weren't for Mia and Okami I might be dead right now." Gaara looked down at me with a small smile on his face.

"I just got in the way..." I spat out.

"That's not true, we didn't know what we were up against." Gaara argued with me.

"All I did...was get a lot...more holes in me...than before..." I panted.

"Mia, stop." Gaara demanded, I could see something in his eyes that hurt: pity. He was pitying that there was nothing I could do during the fight.

"I'd like to get some rest..." I muttered, laying back against the pillow behind my head.

"Alright, we'll come by in the morning. If you need anything Shikamaru said he would be more than happy to get you anything. He's staying here to be with Choji." Temari muttered, getting up from her seat.

"Don't bother him...he has more...important things...to worry about..." They all frowned as they left. I knew they all were pitying me for what happened. I had been one of the strongest of the Village Hidden in the Sand and there was nothing I could do to stop Kimimaro.

Maybe Orochimaru did have something I wanted...a way to protect without being protected.

I shook the thought away. What was I saying, going to Orochimaru like Sasuke? That was insanity. Nothing good would come from it...or would it?

Mia? Okami whispered from his place at the foot of the bed.

"Yeah...?"

You're thinking about going to Orochimaru, aren't you?

"Would you stop me?"

No...but would you bring me with?

"Okami...I..."

Please! I've never asked for anything, but please take me with you! You're my family now! Whether we're on the right path or the wrong path we do it together! He jumped up to look at me. The determination was burning in his whole body.

"Alright, let's go." I created a snow clone of myself, placing the iv in its arm perfectly. I guess sitting through all the healing training was worth it. I replaced all the monitor stickers to their rightful positions and opened the window. "Okami, are you sure this is what you want? If we leave we're rogues. Gaara, Kankuro and Temari won't be our friends anymore." He nodded sharply.

I go wherever you go. No matter the cost or risks.

"Alright, then it's just us. Let's go." Even with the soreness in my body I could tell Shei was healing my body faster by the minute. I looked down at the headband that rested on the table next to my bed.

Goodbye Gaara...I'm sorry...I can't have you protecting me anymore, you almost died because of me...

I jumped out the window with Okami, being careful to stay in the shadows so no one would see me. We made our way to the only exit out of the village, though I sensed two guards now. They must have tightened security after Sasuke left.