Chapter 32: Truth Behind the Wolves

I woke up later that day, though my body still felt heavy. I couldn't move at all other than my head.

"You're awake?" I turned my head to look at Gaara, who was sitting in a chair beside my bed. I could feel the cool rag on my forehead.

Shei, is it alright to talk?

Yes, just keep it short.

"I can't talk long. Shei's orders." I smiled lightly at him, but he didn't smile back.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I frowned.

"I..." I trailed off unable to answer his question.

"You could've died..." I forced my arm to move so I could grab his hand.

"Gaara...everything I did...it was because I couldn't cause you any more worry. I know that isn't an excuse, but..." I sighed.

"You can be so stupid sometimes." I heard a slight chuckle in his voice and when I saw his face I saw a small smile on his lips.

"I know..." I smirked.

Mia...

I understand.

"I need to rest more." He leaned down and kissed my forehead before leaving the room.

You have something special, for both him and Shukaku to recognize you.

That isn't helpful...

I understand, maybe that's why I was okay with lending you my power. Cause I saw the potential inside of you.

Shei...

There was only silence that followed as I shut my eyes to rest more.

~

Gaara's POV

I walked out of the room and into the main room where Temari and Kankuro were waiting.

"How is she?" Temari asked, rubbing her fan repeatedly, a nervous habit.

"She woke up for a little bit. She's resting again." They both looked up with small smiles.

"So the seizure hasn't done anything?" The hopefulness in her voice made me want to lie.

"It's too soon to tell. I'm sorry, Temari." Mia and Temari had become as close as sisters in the time we spent together in the Sand Village. I knew this was hurting her just as much as me. Okami was laying in the corner staring at the door that led to Mia. He never left her side in the time we had spent together but Mia had asked him to find us before she went to the Hyuga household.

"I see." We all looked at the door to the room as a knock came. Kankuro opened it and Lady Tsunade and Kakashi walked in.

"How is she doing?" Lady Tsunade looked between all of us.

"Her fever is going down, she woke up a little bit ago but she's sleeping again now." I explained.

"That's good. I'm going to go and check on her." She walked past me with Kakashi and the two disappeared inside the room.

Why didn't you just talk to us first...?

Mia's POV

I could sense more people as my eyes shut to sleep again.

"What do you think?" My father's voice cut through my daze.

"It looks as if there's been no damage to her vital functions. Shei was able to heal her completely. Though I would like to assess her more when she is able to move around." Lady Tsunade's followed.

Don't even think about it, you're too weak to do anymore today. Shei warned me before I could open my eyes to see them.

Okay...

I understand your concern, I know you want to reassure them that you're okay, but for now you need to get as much rest as possible. It's the only way that you'll recover in a reasonable amount of time. We have too much at stake for you to push yourself too hard.

We?

Yes, we are going to be fighting together from now on and we need to work as one in order to completely use our power to the fullest. Itachi will pay for what he has done and so will Orochimaru.

Shei...I have something I want to ask you.

What is it?

When my village was destroyed the wolves outside my village were killed as well. You being a demonic wolf I was wondering if you had some connection to the wolves outside my village.

Silence followed.

If you know something please tell me!

Mia, there are some things you are better off not knowing...

Shei please...

Very well...The wolves outside of your village were located there to protect the seal that was guarding me. Orochimaru knew this and therefore in order to break the seal he had to eliminate the guards.

I see...

Were you friends with the wolves?

They were some of the only friends I had growing up other than Gaara. When he wasn't there I would always wander around on the outskirts of the village for them. They weren't too fond of people, but for some reason they liked me. I had always wondered why they were killed as well. I always thought it was because they were allies of the village but I guess I was mistaken.

I'm sorry...

Why would you apologize for their deaths? Their deaths freed you from your prison.

Those wolves didn't do it because they wanted to.

Huh?

Before I became this...thing, I was the alpha of those wolves.

Excuse me?!

Yes, though it seems hard to believe. I was the leader of the wolf pack you saw. When the darkness of this world consumed me I was sealed away by the villagers and my pack. I never once held a grudge against them.

Did they try to save you?

Yes, they tried for some time while the transformation continued, but to no avail.

You said the darkness of this world consumed you, what do you---

That's enough for now, rest.

Very well...I drifted off into sleep as Shei's consciousness faded into the recesses of my mind.