Chapter 16: Rescue Attempt

Gaara's POV

Temari, Kankuro and I went out to find some trace of her with Kakashi, who had come when he heard the news.

"It won't be easy to find her, if she's with Itachi...who knows what he's told her." Kakashi stated as we jumped in the direction we were sure they went in.

"What happened to her village...? She said Itachi murdered her people." I asked, not really sure I wanted to know the answer.

"We don't know a whole lot of the story either, we know that Orochimaru was involved in the attack and the intentions as to why aren't clear. She probably wants revenge for everyone she lost that day, but..."

"But what?" Temari continued.

"There were rumors that your village was involved..."

"What?!" We all yelled.

"Yes, it was brought to our attention that the Kazekage visited every month, three months before the attack. It was believed he was gathering information as to how to destroy the village. But again it's only a rumor."

"If that rumor is true...then Mia, she would hate us..." Kankuro muttered as we looked down.

"The actions of a parent should never fall on their children." Kakashi stated and for the rest of the trip we were silent.

Was that my father's intent when we went there? Did he use Mia's family for that purpose...?

~

Mia's POV

It had been several days since we had left the village and Itachi was finally letting me walk on my own. Though Kisame was still stealing my chakra so I couldn't fight back. Not that I was in any mood to fight, after what Itachi had told me...I felt as if I had been living a lie my whole life.

Had Gaara used me to get the intel to destroy my village? Was he really my friend or just an enemy in disguise?

"Itachi, it looks like we have some friends." Kisame stated. I stopped and looked back as Kakashi, Gaara, Temari and Kankuro appeared. But I could sense some of the Black Ops there as well in the shadows.

"Mia!" Temari smiled when she saw I was unharmed. I felt sick looking at her and her family.

"I told you to stay away." I said coldly.

"Mia..." She muttered.

"Its too late, she already knows the truth, Kakashi. About her village." Kisame chuckled.

"What about her village?" He demanded.

"Mia, why don't you explain." Kisame urged me. I looked at the ground.

"Gaara..." I looked at him as he met my gaze. "Did you really use me? So your father could attack my village?" He froze. "Was I ever really your friend? Or just some pawn that was able to be thrown away?" I felt nothing anymore, just hatred.

"Mia, I would have never done that." He said and I shook my head.

"Lies!" Snow surrounded my body. "How could you do that! When all I was, was nice to you!" The snow hardened into ice, like a shell.

"Mia, I wouldn't lie to you. You're my best friend, please don't let Itachi do this to you." He pleaded with me.

"You just want me to forget that you tricked me." I growled.

"Itachi, you're feeding on her hatred for those who took her people away. Don't forget you played your own role in her village's destruction!" Kakashi called out.

"I did what I was ordered to do, the one who ordered that was Rasa." He stated. I clenched my fists, the ice turning into spikes that I sent flying at Gaara.

"Die!" They jumped out of the way, but I couldn't focus on them. Just the day my village was destroyed.

"Mia, please think rationally!" Temari called out to me, but I just set icicles at her as well.

"He lied to me! Used me! Played with my feelings!" I growled at her.

"You idiot, he wouldn't do that." Kankuro rolled his eyes at me and I sent the spears at him too.

"Of course you would defend him! You're his family." My teeth sharpen to canines, my hands turned to claws. "I thought I could trust you..." I looked at Gaara as he stood in front of me.

"Mia, I would never do anything to betray the kindness and trust you have shown me. Please, listen to me." I shook my head.

"I loved you, Gaara. I would have done anything for you." His eyes went wide and I saw the tears fall from his face. It was the first time since we were kids that I had seen him cry too. This made me stop, I had been so blinded by my rage that I hadn't noticed that I was hurting him in the process. The canines faded away and I let the claws retract back under the skin.

"Mia, I would do anything to make you trust me. To believe in me. You gave me everything when I had nothing. Please, if you think I'm lying...then go ahead and kill me." He lowered the gourd to the ground.

"Do it, Mia!" Kisame yelled, a smile was in the tone. I knew he was enjoying this. I walked over to Gaara, Temari and Kankuro tensing. I raised my hand to his cheek and wiped the tears away.

"I know you're not. You haven't cried since we were kids. And when you did it was over your mother. I know you wouldn't cry if you didn't mean what you said." I noticed Temari and Kankuro relax but tensed once more when Itachi charged us.

"If you won't kill him, then I will!" I turned sharply, letting the snow cover us.

"I don't think so!" I blasted him back with the snow, but I knew he was coming again. I didn't have a lot of chakra to use. Gaara grabbed me and jumped back.

"I won't let you take her again!" He growled. I had never seen him this passionate about something.

"Gaara..." I muttered as Temari, Kankuro and Kakashi jumped over to us. Forming a protective circle around me.

"That's enough, Itachi." I heard a familiar voice come from the trees nearby. I froze, that voice...it belonged to...

"Haku..."