Chapter 24: A Month Later

Getting back to the Sand Village was easier than when I had went. No one else bothered us as we made our way back. Once we were home, I rested until I was better and went straight to training.

*one month later*

"Mia, where are you going?" Temari asked as I walked towards the door.

"Out to train with Kankuro and Gaara. You coming?" She sighed.

"Maybe in a little bit, I'm not really in the mood today." I looked at her to see her face was downcast. Something clouded her eyes, making her look completely different.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

"Oh yeah...I'm fine, go on ahead." She never even looked up at me when she spoke.

"Temari, if something's wrong you can tell me."

"Mia, I'm fine." This time she looked at me with an ice cold stare. I frowned, but turned away from her.

"Okay...see you later." I walked out into the early morning sun. I picked up on Gaara and Kankuro's chakra almost immediately. I jumped from roof to roof as I made my way to their arena. It was never used unless the chunin exams were held here, so it was a great place to get in some training without being bothered. Gaara and Kankuro were already having a practice fight, so I sat down on the wall to watch.

Sand swirled around Gaara as Kankuro used his puppet, Crow to attack. I knew that Kankuro used poison on the knifes inside of Crow, but I hoped he wouldn't against Gaara. I thought about Temari as they continued to fight. She had looked so sad, like it was killing her to keep it inside. She never got angry at me like that, we had become as close as Gaara and I.

"Is everything alright, Mia?" Gaara asked as he appeared beside me.

"Is there something special about today...?" I muttered as Kankuro came to join us.

"What do you mean?" Kankuro asked.

"Somethings off with Temari. She...she seems sad." They both seemed to be thinking about it. Then Gaara froze. "What is it?" I asked.

"It can't be...is it already the anniversary...?" He whispered to himself.

"Anniversary?" Kankuro put a hand on my shoulder, before leaning in to whisper in my ear.

"Its the anniversary of our mother's death...Temari and her were really close. She doesn't blame Gaara, but Gaara blames himself all the time." I frowned.

"I see..." Gaara rose and turned away from us. "Gaara..." I muttered. He didn't look at me as he walked off. "I didn't mean to bring up bad memories." I sighed. Kankuro sighed as well.

"Its not your fault. Gaara and Temari both get this way when the anniversary comes around. Its been years but they both still take the loss hard."

"What about you?" He looked at me and frowned.

"Of course I miss my mom, but...she wouldn't want us to be sad every year." I nodded.

"I get what you mean, I felt the same way when the tenth anniversary of my village happened. I could cry and be sad, but that wouldn't solve anything and it wouldn't bring anyone back. I have to keep moving forward and do what I can to restore my village."

"Its a good mentality to have." I smiled at him.

"You know, when I first met you and Temari...I thought you two were selfish. For wanting to protect yourselves before your brother. But I realize that it was probably the same way with my brother. He never liked my eyes, everyone was afraid of them. I guess, I get the idea of wanting to outcast those who are different, but..." I trailed off. "Anyways, now I really hope we can all be friends for a long time."

"We will be. That's a promise." I smiled at him, but the happy moment was short lived as shards of ice blasted down towards us.

"Duck Kankuro!" I stood up and created an ice barrier around us. The shards were stopped but I knew exactly who had sent them. This was a test of my strength and endurance. I blasted the ice away and looked in the direction they had been sent. "Haku..."

"Good to see you again, big sister. It seems you're becoming more trouble than its worth."

"Does that mean you'll leave me alone?" I smirked.

"Hardly, it just means I'm going to have to take you myself!" He growled, his black hair blowing in the now cold breeze.

"Then I guess we've reached a disagreement, because I'm not going anywhere." Snow swirling around my body as Kankuro sat behind me, looking between the two of us.

"Do you really think you can beat me?" He chuckled.

"Kankuro, go. You'll only get in the way." I stated.

"But!" He started, Haku firing an ice shard at him. I grabbed it with my bare hand, some blood dripping from the side of my head as the ice cut the skin.

"I said go!" I crushed the ice and glared at Haku as the Osore came out.

"Looks like you're finally getting serious." Haku smiled, but it wasn't the same as when we were kids. His smile was something dark and twisted with hatred.

"You're going to find I'm not the same little girl I was. I will kill you, brother." I growled.

"Then you better hold nothing back." We both vanished into the snow storm that surrounded us.

This time, I will win and I will free you from the darkness!