Chapter 2: Connections of the Past

Guy and Kakashi led me over to where the Hokage was. After knocking on a door, we were allowed in by an elderly looking gentleman. There were several other people in the room as well, when we entered they all turned to look at me. Artemis and Apollo backed closer into my sides.

"Kakashi, Guy who is this you've brought here?" The elder demanded. His mannerisms every bit as intimidating as he was in his youth.

"This is the last survivor of the Village Hidden in the Snow, Mia Hosaka." Guy spoke before I could.

"Really?" The room seemed to perk up when they saw my headband.

"He's not lying. I'm the daughter of the leader of the Village Hidden in the Snow." My emotions stayed hidden, I knew I had showed too much to Kakashi. The Hokage rose from his seat, walking over to me.

"So young, yet so much suffering you've seen." He was pitying me.

"I don't need your pity, I accepted what happened to my village a long time ago. All I care about now is getting stronger." He frowned.

"You hide how you truly feel behind a facade." He continued, I clenched my fists at my sides. I hated when people did this, pretended they understood anything about you without knowing a thing.

"You act like you know me, but you don't." I looked away from him.

"You're right, I don't know you or what you've been through, but I know what its like to lose those you care about." I nearly rolled my eyes. He was talking just like Kakashi but with a gentler tone.

"Stupid old fool." I turned sharply and went to leave.

"Mia! Be respectful in the presence of the Hokage!" Guy demanded, grabbing my arm tightly.

"That's enough, Guy. Tell me, Mia why have you come here?" The Hokage asked, lowering Guy's arm away from me.

"To find a home. I've spent years training in the remains of my village. My only companions are the two wolves you see at my sides. I figured I shouldn't hide away in the snow forever, then the memory of my village would truly die." I explained, emotionless. He looked at me as I met his gaze.

"You're strong to come this far with a resolve like that."

"Its my purpose for living." I muttered, more to myself than anyone in that room.

"Mia..." Guy muttered from behind me.

"We all have to have a purpose to live in the line of work we do." I stated.

"You aren't wrong." The old man agreed with me. "You've come here in search of a home then?"

"Not exactly, but Guy found me and when I told him I was looking for a home...well, I'm sure you know the story, Lord Hokage." I said politely. I knew when to be ignorant and when to be polite. I was asking this man for a place to live after all.

"Hmmm, yes, Guy has told me about your story before. It was recently too. Perhaps you were meant to be here, Mia." This stupid destiny crap.

"Lord Hokage, if I may I don't see why she can't stay here and train with my squad." Kakashi finally spoke and those words were enough to make me turn on my heels.

"What?!" Guy and I said at the same time. Kakashi smiled underneath his mask at me.

"What's so strange about it?" He asked as if it was a stupid reason to question him.

"Does this mean you'll be taking full responsibility of the girl as she takes the exams?" The old man asked.

Exams?

"Of course." Kakashi answered.

"Hold up, what are you talking about? Exams? What exams?" I broke up the conversation.

"The Chunin exams." Guy stated, he had a grim look on his face that I didn't like.

"The next rank up for a Shinobi. I take it your squad is already registered?" I questioned Kakashi now.

"Yes. Lord Hokage, will you make a special exception and allow her to partake in the exams even though the first one is over?" Kakashi boldly asked.

"Hmmm, the other squads won't be very fond of her coming in during the middle of the exams...but, I think I can make that exception. But I don't think it would be fair to add her as another member of Squad 7, there would be a lot of conflict with a fourth addition." He stated.

"Artemis, Apollo and I are fine on our own. If we have to represent in the Chunin exams, then let us do it as the Village Hidden in the Snow." I stepped forward. "I'm stronger than I look. I've made it this far haven't I?" I stated. The Hokage smiled and then chuckled.

"Then I guess we'll have to let you with the determination you've shown today." A sigh of relief came out of my mouth that I didn't even realize I was holding. "Kakashi, take her to the forest at once. If she is to have any chance at passing the exam, she'll need to start now." The Hokage was all seriousness now. Kakashi placed a hand on my shoulder and I knew to follow him.

"Should I be thanking you?" I asked as we ran in the direction of what looked to be a restricted area.

"No, I think you have what it takes to become a Chunin." He stated and when we arrived at the forest a woman with dark purple hair came over to us.

"Kakashi, what are you doing here? And who is this girl?" She glared down at me.

"By the orders of Lord Hokage, she is now officially registered in the Chunin exams."

"What?! This brat! She's alone, how would she survive in the Forest of Death?" She demanded. I walked past her.

"I'll ask that you don't underestimate me. I am the last member of the Village Hidden in the Snow. I didn't die then and I won't now." She froze at my words and looked between Kakashi and I.

"Ugh, fine. Give her a scroll!" She yelled at one of the random ninjas that was there. I was given a white scroll, labeled with 'heaven.' "The objective is to get an Earth scroll and take it to the tower in the middle of the forest..." She started.

"I get the picture, kill or be killed right? I'll be fine. C'mon Artemis, Apollo. We have some catching up to do." We rushed into the forest quickly. The familiar terrain of my village's forest gave me some confidence.

~

Mia, if you can't control what's inside, then you will never survive!

"I know Apollo!" I yelled back. My body was weak from hunger and exhaustion. The cold was unbearable, but this was the cost of training. I had to grow stronger, so I could avenge the people of my village. I had to get stronger so I could show everyone that the Village Hidden in the Snow was alive and kicking.

Apollo, she needs to rest. Look at her, she's going to kneel over any minute now.

"Artemis, I'll be okay. I have to get stronger." I panted out. I gave her a small smile, one of the last times I would ever smile like that.

I understand your concern for the girl, Artemis. But if the beast is unleashed there won't be a girl to worry about anymore. Just the empty shell of her.

The thought of that was enough to make me shiver.

Apollo, she's just a little girl.

I know that, but she will die if she isn't able to control it. He placed it on her for that very reason.

"I have to get stronger..." I muttered before feeling my body reach its limit.

Mia!

~

I landed on a tree branch nearby some ninjas we senses almost immediately.

They're close, how do you want to proceed? Apollo asked, licking his chops. I knew he liked fighting more than Artemis did.

"Its only three, the Blizzard Jutsu will work perfectly." I stated.

Not wanting to get your hands dirty yet?

"Not yet."