Chapter 9: Childhood Memories

"So Gaara, why do you seem afraid of everyone?" I asked as we sat down beside the lake. It was summer time, so the snow had melted and their were fishermen out on the water.

"W-what do you mean?" He muttered, looking down at his teddy bear.

"I mean, you don't seem to be familiar with people." He looked down, frowning.

"I...I'm not supposed to talk about it."

"You're an outcast too, huh?" I whispered and looked out at the waves. I could hear the gasp and sense his eyes on me.

"You're an outcast here?" I frowned.

"People look at me weirdly, because of my eyes. I have the birth trait of the village, but it scares people. There hasn't been someone with these eyes in years." I muttered.

"Your eyes look completely normal to me." He whispered, putting a hand on my cheek. I sighed and looked at him.

"These aren't those eyes. Its hard to explain...it's something I'm not really supposed to talk about either. But..." I trailed off.

"But what?"

"But I like you, Gaara." I smiled at him. "That's why I really hope we can be friends."

"Friends? You want me to be your friend?"

"Of course! Why wouldn't I want you as a friend?" He looked down.

"Because of what's inside of me..." I looked at him confused.

"Inside of you? I don't get it." He said nothing as we heard someone coming from behind us.

"Are you two having fun?" We turned and I saw Rasa standing there.

"Yeah!" I smiled.

"Y-yes father..." Gaara stumbled.

"Well I hate to cut it so short but we must be going, but we'll be back in about a month if that's alright with you, Mia?" I smiled wider.

"Of course, bye Gaara. I hope you'll smile the next time we see each other." I exclaimed. He rose and began to follow his father, he looked back at me once and gave me a small smile.

"Bye Mia.." He waved.

~

I looked up at Gaara as he completely transformed into Shukaku. Naruto had come with Sakura to help, but I knew there was nothing they could do to stop Gaara.

"Gaara..." I coughed up some blood, causing Shukaku to look at me. "Shukaku..." I gave them a small smile. "Its been a long time..." Shukaku reached down and carefully picked me up. It hurt to breath, with every movement of my chest I felt the broken rib digging into something.

"Mia, you're hurt..." A mixture of Gaara and Shukaku's voices stated.

"You have to stop this...you're going to kill a lot of innocent people for no reason. Is that what you want? To be a murderer for the rest of your life, Gaara!" I yelled, wincing in pain as the air burned my chest. They looked at me with a look of sadness in their eyes, but it washed away as Naruto kicked him in the face. Temari jumped up quickly and grabbed me, vanishing away from the scene before I could say anything. "You have to take me back!" I growled at her.

"You'll die if you get involved. Gaara is too far gone to be reasoned with."

"You're wrong..." I whispered, feeling the wavering of consciousness from the pain.