Chapter 25: Brother vs. Sister

Every attack was met with a blast of cold air. I jumped back from the storm, trying to assess the situation better.

"Don't let your guard down!" Haku appeared behind me, but I was ready. I blasted him back with several snowballs.

"Mia!" I heard Kankuro call out, so he hadn't run off.

"I see your little friend is still here. How foolish, to leave a weakness behind." I turned sharply as my brother jumped through the storm straight for Kankuro. I bit my thumb and made the summoning hand signs.

"Summoning Jutsu!" I slammed my hand on the ground, the storm blowing away. My brother turned on his heels as the pack surrounded him. "Pack of Frostbite Wolves!" He froze as they closed in.

"I didn't think you knew this, the only other person who knew it was..."

"Father, I know." Kankuro looked at the wolves. "Kankuro, I told you to go didn't I?"

"I'm not going to leave you here alone!" I sighed and created an ice barrier around him.

"Then stay out of the way." I glared at my brother as he attempted to break free from the wolves. "Attack!" I growled. They charged quickly, jumping on his shoulders and back.

"Mia!" Temari and Gaara appeared beside the ice barrier.

"Leave me alone, I can handle this without you." I jumped in front of them as the wolves went for the kill blows. But several ice shards stabbed through them as my brother sent them away.

"You won't kill me so easily. Ice Style: Wolf Guardian!" I froze, that Jutsu had been used by our father as well. But unlike my summoning, this wolf was a protective barrier. From what I had learned, nothing could break through it, unless...

The massive ice wolf appeared in front of me, the smaller wolves backed down at the alpha. I clenched my fists.

"Mia." Gaara started. I put my hand down as the Chidori started humming. "That's-"

"Huh, what is this? It looks like you've picked up another Jutsu, impressive." The sound of a thousand birds chirping filled the air as I jumped down towards the wolf. "But that wont break the Wolf Guardian!" He laughed. I signaled for my wolves to get ready to attack and made the Chidori bigger.

"I guess we'll find out, now wont we, brother!" I pushed my hand forward the Wolf Guardian dissipating into nothing. This made my brother freeze.

"H-how...?" He muttered.

"Now, attack!" My wolves bit down on his arms and legs. My Chidori was still going so I pushed it into my brother's chest. He coughed blood out on my face as the wolves disappeared. I was at my limit with my chakra.

"Mia..." Haku coughed.

"I never wanted to kill you, brother. But you left me with no choice." He chuckled, though it sounded like a gurgle as the blood formed in his throat.

"I never...wanted to kill...you either...sister..."

"Then why!?" Gaara, Temari and Kankuro appeared behind me as I made the ice barrier melt.

"...I always thought...I was doing...this for your...benefit, but..." He coughed up some more blood as he collapsed to his knees.

"Brother!" I dropped down beside him.

"I realize now...I...was wrong..."

"Haku...what do you mean?" I whispered as he reached up and touched my cheek.

"I wanted...you to get stronger...to prove dad...and mom...wrong...but you already...have...by living...by growing stronger with them...and by making the friends you have now..." His hand fell down on to his chest as he fell back to the ground.