Chapter 5: Someone Precious...

The matches proceed one after another. I observed the strengths and weaknesses of everyone who advanced to the finals, but I could also sense the bloodlust coming back. I looked down at my shaking hands as the next match was announced.

"Gaara vs. Rock Lee." The proctor called out and I looked up sharply. I hadn't see Gaara fight before other than in the Forest of Death. If this Rock Lee wasn't careful he wouldn't have his life by the end. I pushed myself to my feet and went to the railing to watch.

Gaara appeared with his sand and I felt a lump forming in my throat. Shei knew Gaara was like me. That made it worse. He wanted the blood of Gaara now.

When the match began I noticed Gaara's sand creating a shield around him. It protected him just as the snow protected me. Self-preservation. However, when Guy announced that Lee could take his ankle weights off everything changed. He out-sped the sand and managed to land a blow on him. The scratch dripped a small amount of blood. But that blood was enough to change the look in his eyes.

I knew this was where the real fight began. Lee unleashed everything he had on Gaara, but it wasn't enough. Gaara encased Lee's arm and leg in a sand coffin. The scream from Lee chilled me to the bone, just as it did with the men in the forest.

However I noticed Gaara wasn't done. He was going to kill him.

"Gaara stop!" I yelled. The sand froze as everyone looked at me. My heart was pounding in my chest as I saw the murderous look in his eyes. "He's finished, every bone and muscle in his body is torn or broken, he's finished." I stated.

"Why would you save him? He failed." He asked me.

"Because his teacher saved my life. I can't let you kill him if he has no way of defending himself." I jumped down in front of Lee. "If you want to kill him then you go through me first." The icy tone came back into my voice and I knew he was close to clawing his way free. Itching to fight.

"Enough, as Mia stated Lee is finished. Gaara is the winner of the match." The sand went back into his gourd and he started walking towards me.

"Didn't I tell you to stay out of my way or I'd kill you too?" He asked when he was close enough that only I would hear it. I looked at him sharply.

"What happened to the Gaara I knew?" I asked once more.

"He died." Was his response before he walked towards the stairs. My heart was still pounding wildly and I knew Shei was unhappy. I sighed and jumped back up to Artemis and Apollo as Guy went down to Lee.

Why would you put yourself in danger? Apollo  spat at me once I sat back down.

"Mind your own business." I spat right back.

That boy has changed you.

"That boy was my best friend. So sorry if I want to save him like you saved me." I whispered, the sadness of the past coming back to me.

~

Mia, you're not a monster. You're free to be whoever you want to be.

"But I...I have no one left...it's just me, how can I stand up to him?" I whimpered as Artemis leaned into me.

Think of it this way, when you want to protect someone precious to you you'll understand what it means to be strong.

"Protect someone precious..."

~

Was that person Gaara? I looked in his direction but he wasn't looking at me but down at the arena as the last match took place.

Was saving someone the same as protecting them?