Chapter 19: A New Technique

After three days of resting, eating and regaining my strength Kakashi told me I was good to leave the hospital. It was weird seeing him as my father, because even though I would admit we looked similar, I just didn't feel connected to him like a father and daughter should have been.

I followed him out into the forest, where he told me to sit down so we could talk.

"What's this about?' I asked as I leaned against the tree trunk I was sitting in front of.

"I need you to understand something." He sat down in front of me as well. "In order for you to understand why your mother and I did what we did...I need to explain to you how we met in the first place."

"Is this going to turn into a mushy love story, because if so count me out." I groaned.

"Mia, please. Just hear me out." I had never seen him look so distraught so I nodded and allowed him to continue. "Your mother was a Jonin from the Village Hidden in the Sand, she was also a liaison between our two villages. Her father wanted to establish peace between us and therefore wanted to arrange a marriage between his daughter and someone in our village of high status."

"Wait, but you told me before that she had been arranged to marry my step-father." I said confused.

"Yes, that's true but not until later. She came to our village right after I was made a Jonin. I was still an arrogant kid, so when she first came I challenged her to a fight."

"You did?! Who won?"

"Your mother, she was one of the only people to ever beat me. But she recognized something in me and we became friends almost immediately. Kind of like you and Gaara." I felt my face grow hot.

"Shut up!" I looked away as he chuckled.

"Anyway, after some time we started secretly dating. Her father had chosen a high status Shinobi in the Uchiha Clan for her to marry. Unfortunately, being young and stupid we didn't want that. So we ran off together and..."

"And then I happened."

"Yes, her father was furious. He wanted me to die for what I had done, but instead we made an agreement that if she married someone in a different Hidden Village and they accepted you as their daughter then I could live."

"So thats how I came to be in the Village Hidden in the Snow..."

"I was never allowed to see you, Sayaka let me see you twice in secret. Once after you were born and then a month before she married your step-father. So I could say goodbye."

"I see, so that's how I came to be in this world..."

"Mia, I know that this is all hard to believe and hard for you to understand right now. But, don't ever let anyone tell you, you don't deserve to be alive. You are exactly like Sayaka, brave and free." I shivered a little as I thought about his words. For the first time since I was a child, I felt loved and had felt the love of a father.

"Ka---Dad...I'm happy I finally got to know you." I smiled at him. He seemed surprised that I had called him my father, but I saw the smile underneath his mask.

"I'm happy to see you all grown up, you've grown into a beautiful young lady like your mother."

"Thanks, so I have a question to ask."

"What is it?"

"Can you teach me Chidori?" He seemed surprised.

"Why do you want to learn it?" I looked down.

"I know I'm going to have to fight Haku one day, I can feel it. Haku was always better than me when we were kids. I don't know how strong he has gotten over the years, I think it would be in my best interest to have an ace up my sleeve." He seemed to understand and rose.

"I'll teach you, but you have to understand that this technique is for assassinations. Are you ready to handle that if you ever have to use it?"

"I understand."

"Then let's begin."

~

For three days, Kakashi and I trained my body to use the Chidori. After some time I was finally able to use it, but it took a vast amount of chakra. I could only use it about three times before I would be at my limit.

"You already have great control over your chakra and how much to let out or not. Apollo and Artemis taught you well." I frowned at the mention of their names.

"Did Gaara tell you?"

"Yeah, I could sense your mother's presence within Artemis. I had never met your step-father but I could tell the two of them loved you."

"It just doesn't feel real anymore, my life. I grew up thinking that my village was attacked by Orochimaru, which was half true. But then to find out that the Sand Village, my mother's home, attacked and murdered her. And my brother was involved in that. I just don't know what to believe anymore..." He placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I understand, I'm sure that with time everything will come to light."

"So, what do you think of Gaara?" I asked suddenly.

"I think that he was misunderstood as a child and thats why he lost himself. But I can see that you bring a light inside of him." I sighed. "Is this about what he asked you in the hospital?" I froze.

"How did you-?!"

"He came and asked for my permission. A little old fashion, but I respect it."

"I swear, he really is turning into an old man." We headed back towards the village together.

"I think that he really wants to prove to you that he will protect you." I puffed out an annoyed breath.

"I don't need protection." He chuckled.

"I don't disagree, you're like your mother. But sometimes when it comes to someone who is precious to you, protecting can mean several different things."

Someone precious...

"I..."

"You don't have to understand everything right away, but I think you should give him a chance as your mother gave me." And with that he left me standing at the entrance of the village.