Chapter 8: Gaara's Demon

I watched with everyone as Sasuke finally arrived right before they called his match. Gaara started walking down to meet him and I knew something was off in the way Gaara was acting. He had the same bloodlust in his eyes as he did with Lee.

The match began with an eerie silence as everyone looked on at the two competitors.

Gaara, please don't kill him...

Sasuke's speed impressed me as he vanished and managed to outmaneuver the sand. He kicked, punched and sent Gaara flying.

"Gaara..." The match continued, but suddenly Gaara encased himself completely in sand. I could sense the change, the demon coming forth. Temari, who had come back quickly after our match was looking down concerned.

"He's completely forgetting the plan..." I heard her whisper.

"Plan...?" I muttered.

What is it, Mia? Apollo asked as I glared down at the sand orb surrounding Gaara.

"Is he really planning on releasing Shukaku here?" I muttered as I saw Sasuke charging up a Chidori. "That technique, it's Kakashi's. He taught it to Sasuke." As the lightning swirled in his palm he ran directly at Gaara, cutting through the sand. A pulse started in my chest, I dropped to my knees as Shei growled.

Mia, what's the matter?! Artemis jumped to my side as Gaara screamed inside his sand.

"Gaara..." I saw Shukaku's arm come out of the sand, reaching for Sasuke. The pulsing continued as my heart pounded rapidly in my chest.

Mia, what's happening? Apollo asked as an explosion happened where the Hokage was.

"It's a trap. They wanted all the people in the Hidden Leaf Village here so they could kill them." I pushed myself to my feet and jumped down in front of Sasuke. Gaara looked at me and I could see Shukaku coming through. "Gaara, Shukaku stop please." I pleaded as my chest flared in pain.

The sound of my heart pounding blocked out of the sand as it surrounded my body.

"Mia, I told you to stay out of my way." I used the snow to blasted the sand away.

"And I told you, the Gaara I know is still in there and I will save him!" I growled. Temari and her brother jumped down to Gaara as well.

"Take him and go." Their teacher stated. I vanished with them as they fled. Apollo and Artemis were at my sides in seconds.

Is this necessary? Apollo asked.

"Apollo, I have never asked you or Artemis for anything before...now I'm asking you to help me. Help me save Gaara." They both looked at each other and then gave me a brisk nod. "Thank you..."

~

Following Gaara was easier than I thought and we appeared in front of them.

"Why are you following us?" Temari spat out.

"Do you even care for the boy in your arms? You're supposed to be his brother and sister but yet I can see you fear what's inside of him." I stated, ice coating my voice.

"What would you know about him!?" The brother spat.

"Plenty, he grew up afraid. All he wanted was friends, people who cared about him but instead everyone feared and rejected him. He wanted someone to accept him for who he was. I was that person. When Rasa brought him to my village, we became friends almost immediately. We were similar. I felt like an outcast in my own village just as he did and we enjoyed each other's company. Maybe that's why Rasa stopped bringing him, because he could see Gaara growing soft." I spat. They both froze. "He's hurt, my village also was known for its healing properties. Let me heal him." I looked at Gaara's shoulder. There was blood stained over his clothes.

"Stay away from him!" Temari growled.

"Why do you care?" I asked.

"W-what..?" She stumbled over the word.

"Why do you care? I thought to you he was just a freak." I shut my eyes and allowed my eyes to change. I opened them and they both flinched back.

"Your eyes..."

"They're the birth trait of my village. Osore, the eyes of fear. I can see what people fear the most and use that against them. This is what caused people in my village to hate me. A blessing and a curse."

"Mia, stop." I froze when I heard Gaara speak. He looked up at me.

"Or what?" I spat. He sighed.

"Shukaku, please keep her out of the fighting." I froze as Shukaku's arm stretched out and grabbed me. It pinned me against the tree.

Mia!! Artemis and Apollo called out.

"Go, help Kakashi and Guy. I'll be fine." I glared at them as they hesitated, but they vanished. "Gaara, stop this. Do you really want to kill me?" He jumped over to me, he reached his hand up and touched my cheek just like when we were kids.

"I could never...please stay out of this. I don't want you to get hurt." My eyes went wide.

"Gaara!" I called out as he turned away.

"Gaara, this is as far as you go!" I heard Sasuke call out.

"Sasuke..." I muttered as the sand tightened around my body. It wasn't a ton of pain but I noticed the tightening in my chest.

"So wanna tell me why you have her pinned up against tree?" He asked looking at me.

"Sasuke, go away! You can't beat him!" I yelled and glared at him.

"I don't care what you think, he's going down here." I watched in horror as Gaara changed into half Shukaku. Sasuke and him went back and forth with their fight, but I could tell Sasuke was at his limit.

"Shei...I need you now..." I whispered, shutting my eyes once more. His chakra spread through my body and I blasted the sand away. Gaara turned to look at me. "Gaara, stop please. I know you're in pain, I know you're scared..." I whispered and walked over to him.

"Mia, forgive me." He muttered and smacked me away with Shukaku's arm. I went flying down into the ground, the metallic taste of blood in my mouth. I tried to push myself up, but I couldn't move. I could feel one of my ribs had been broken along with my arm.

"Dammit..." I whispered and closed my eyes.

Gaara please come back to me.

~

"Mia, this is Rasa's son Gaara." My mother smiled down at me. The boy in front of me looked nervous and was carrying a teddy bear.

"It's nice to meet you, Gaara." I smiled. He seemed surprised to see someone smile at him.

"It's...nice to meet you too..." He stumbled out.

"Hey mom, can we go to the lake?" I asked quickly wanting to get away from the grown up conversations.

"Alright but just be careful."

"We will, come on Gaara!" I grabbed his hand lightly and dragged him along with me.