Chapter 11: Village Hidden in the Sand

Over the next several days I was caught dodging Itachi several times. My chakra was running low, Artemis and I were both exhausted and I had several new wounds that slowed me down more.

Mia, you should rest.

"I can't, Artemis. We have to get to the Sand Village." I panted as we continued towards the village. The scenery had changed to a sand storm and I knew we were getting closer.

Your wounds, they're getting worse.

"I know...we can rest when we meet Gaara." I could slightly see the entrance to the village coming into view. "We're almost there. One last push." I said more to myself than Artemis.

"You're not going anywhere!" I moved to the left as I sensed him. His sword crashing down on the ground. Artemis and I slid to a stop, the village was so close but I could feel my energy fading.

Itachi appeared at his side.

"Stop resisting and just come quietly." He stated.

"Never...not after you killed Apollo..." I panted and clutched my shoulder. There was a long cut from that stupid shark's sword.

"Must you be so difficult?" I made my Osore appear. "It would appear you still have some chakra left. So be it, I'll wear you down until you can't stand anymore." He vanished and I only had a second to react by jumping back. His speed was impressive, I barely had any time to dodge his attacks. I jumped back once more panting. The Osore was the only thing keeping me alive right now, if not then I would have been rendered unconscious by Itachi's sharingan.

He looked as if he was about to strike again when sand surrounded them. I looked behind me and saw Gaara and Temari coming with several other sand ninjas.

"We'll retreat for now. We aren't here for a massive fight." Itachi stated before they vanished. My Osore faded away and I collapsed to my knees.

Mia! Mia, stay with me! Artemis cried out as I felt my vision start to blur.

"Mia, are you alright!" Temari reached me first and assessed my injuries.

"How is she, Temari?" Gaara's voice appeared on my right side.

"She's got some bad injuries. She's exhausted, she's used almost all of her chakra. But Mia, where's Apollo?" She asked and I felt the tears before I could stop them.

"He's dead...they killed him..." They said nothing as Gaara picked me up. "Artemis, can you fill them in?" I whispered.

Of course, rest now Mia. You've earned it. I shut my eyes and allowed myself to sink into the realm of unconsciousness.

~

"So, who are you two?" I whispered as Orochimaru disappeared.

My name's Apollo, this is my sister Artemis. We're snow wolves that reside outside where this village once stood. The male wolf spoke proudly.

"It's nice to meet you two...why are you here though?" I shivered.

We came because we sensed Orochimaru's presence. However, we didn't expect to find a survivor of the village. When we saw the smoke and flames, we assumed everyone had been killed. The female wolf spoke with a soft tone, like a mother.

"I see..."

Why did you come back? Apollo asked, his head turning to sniff the air.

"I...wanted to see if there was anything that survived other than me...I guess I was mistaken..." I crouched down and placed my hands in the snow. The cold felt inviting as the tears froze to my cheeks. "My mom...my dad...and even my brother...they're all gone..." I hiccuped with each word spoken. Artemis came to my side and leaned into me.