Chapter 38: Back Home

Temari and I spent three days traveling to my village and by the time we arrived in the snowy terrain I felt the tug of familiarity coming to me. The village that I was brought to was in sight and I knew we were going to have to stay there for the night. 

As we walked into the village I saw several people turn to look at me. 

"Its her..."

"She's back after all this time..."

"She looks different somehow..." I tried not to listen as they continued to question my sudden appearance. 

"Mia, its been quite some time." I turned and saw the old woman who had taken me in, she had been a lot younger the last time I saw her but she had always been compassionate to me. 

"Miss Sayu, its good to see you." I smiled. 

"Who's this?" Temari asked confused. 

"Oh right, she took me in after my village was destroyed. She was the only person who wasn't afraid of me..." I whispered as I saw the other people of the village go inside their homes. 

"Please forgive the people of the village, since that happened people haven't been quick to trust. They fear what they don't  understand." Miss Sayu muttered, signaling for us to come with her. Her home hadn't changed a bit. She had been a gifted doctor in her youth, now retired. 

"It doesn't bother me too much anymore." I stated as we sat down around the table. Okami walked over to her.

"And who is this little one? This one is different from the two you left with." 

"Yes, his name is Okami. The two you saw me leave with passed away some time ago." I explained. 

"May they be at peace." She prayed. 

"Thank you." 

"You don't need to thank me. So please tell me what makes you return?" I explained briefly, she seemed concerned with the sedative, but understood the situation. 

"I see. You didn't wish to return did you?" I frowned. 

"Not so soon after the anniversary of their deaths. But I need to do this. Its something that will hopefully give me some closure now." I muttered. I looked over at Temari and saw her shivering a little. I had given her a cloak to help keep her warm, but she wasn't used to this like I was. "I'm sorry Miss Sayu, we may need to trouble you for a place to stay for the night." She shook her head with a smile.

"You are always welcome in my home, that goes for your friends as well." Okami hopped up and down happily. 

"Temari, why don't you go sit by the fire. It should help you warm up." I pointed in the direction of the fireplace and she smiled gratefully and went to warm up. "Okami do you think you could keep her company?" He nodded and bounced after her. 

"You seem to have made some good friends." I chuckled softly. 

"Yes...I have made such wonderful friends over the years I've been gone. But really it wasn't until very recently that I had changed my view on life." I thought about Gaara and the others who had given me so much more to live for.

"There's someone special isn't there?" I blushed harshly as she eyed me with a smirk. 

"Well...yes, we've been together for a few months now." 

"Does he treat you well?" It was like I was talking with my grandmother again. 

"Yes."

"Well are you going to tell me anymore than that?" She chuckled.