Chapter 33: Reason for Happiness

Two days later

After spending two more days resting up I was finally able to move around and get up, though I could tell I wasn't completely back to my full strength yet. Okami had come into the room last night to rest, I knew he was worried and I knew I had caused a lot of worrying for my friends, but I felt at peace finally. I didn't have to worry about Orochimaru and his stupid curse mark anymore.

"Okami?" I sat up slowly and when he saw me up and moving he jumped into my lap.

Thank goodness! You're alright!

"I'm sorry for worrying, I'm feeling better." I smiled warmly at him. It had been some time since I had come across him, but he really had filled the void in my heart from Apollo and Artemis or I should say my mother and father's spirits.

Is something wrong? You look sad.

"No nothing is wrong, I'm just happy that we met Okami."

Me too! You're my best friend, Mia.

"And you're mine." I picked him up and pushed myself to my feet.

Are you sure you're okay to be up and walking around?

"Yes, Shei told me I was okay to move around today as long as I didn't push it."

Okay, just let me know if you start to not feel well again.

"I promise." I pulled the bedroom door open and was greeted by Temari, Kankuro and Gaara standing there with smiles on their faces. "Do you guys have to do that? Nearly gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry, we're just glad to see you up and moving around." Temari backed off first as she smiled brightly. It was the first time I had seen her smile like this. I had really made them all worry.

"I'm sorry for worrying you all. But I'll be okay. Thanks to Shei, my body won't have any negative side effects from the seizure. He told me I can move around today but to take it easy. So you guys will have to be my bodyguards for the day." I joked with a smirk. Gaara placed his hand on my arm.

"You never have to ask." He smiled back.

"How is the seal doing?" Kankuro finally asked the question everyone had been wanting to know about.

"I don't feel anything from Orochimaru, I feel at peace." I stated. They all looked to breath a sigh of relief at that.

"Then it wasn't for nothing." Temari muttered.

"I had to try." I whispered more to myself than them but they all gave me firm looks to say that it wasn't okay that I didn't tell them first. "I know, I know next time I will tell you guys about it before I act."

"Let's hope there's not a next time." Gaara muttered as I lowered Okami onto the floor.

"You probably are hungry, you didn't eat much when you were resting." Temari said and as if on cue my stomach growled. We all laughed.

"I guess that's the answer to your question, Temari." Kankuro rolled his eyes playfully. He had really come out of his shell since what happened between Haku and I. Okami was coming around to him too.

"So shall we go and get something to eat?" I smiled. The four of us heading out into the Leaf Village for food.

"Hey! Mia!" I turned sharply as a loud voice came from behind us.

"Hey Naruto, how are you?" I replied cheerfully. I had him really to thank for Gaara changing the way he was.

"Good, I'm glad to see you up and moving again. Kakashi-sensai was really worried about you, ya know." I frowned.

"I didn't mean to cause so many people to worry, I'll have to stop by later to apologize." He smirked and gave me his typical thumbs up.

"You really are something, Mia." I was taken aback by those words.

"What?"

"After everything you've been through, you still find happiness in your life." I looked down and gave a sad smile.

"There was a time when I thought differently. I think the person who really changed my view on things was my father, mother, brother and Gaara and his family. Otherwise...I might still be in that sad lonely place I was when I was with Apollo and Artemis. Besides..." I looked down at Okami. "I've found new comrades to fill the void of the people of my village. I have found a new home." Okami hopped up into my arms and I was filled with warmth. "I had been searching so long for my own purpose in life, I thought that meant restoring my village, but really it was having something to live for. I had nothing left before Apollo and Artemis found me. Now...I have so many people who care about me, that I was left wondering how I had ever survived before." The others smiled at me and I felt Gaara's arm wrap around my waist.

"I bet..." I could see some sadness in his eyes.

"This is about Sasuke and Sakura right?" He looked up sharply.

"What are you--"

"Its easy to see. Sasuke was one of your comrades and even if the two of you don't want to admit it you were friends. Its only natural you would feel remorse being unable to bring him back to the village. Plus from what I heard you made a promise to Sakura to bring him home. You care deeply for her even if you know she doesn't return those feelings. But Naruto...this burden shouldn't fall on just you. Sakura and my father are both members of your squad as well. They both must blame themselves just as much. Please, don't shoulder it all alone." He looked up at me surprised. "I know what its like to shoulder such a heavy burden, it takes its toll on you. You and Sasuke have your own paths but I know that you have a light that can bring him out of the dark. I mean you did save Gaara didn't you?" Gaara looked at me surprised now.

"Mia..."

"I am eternally grateful for you bringing back the Gaara I knew when I was a child. And that is how I know you are going to bring Sasuke back."

"Thanks Mia." I watched him turn and rush off in typical Naruto fashion. We continued on our way to restaurant.

"Did you mean everything you said to him?" Temari asked once we were all settled at our table.

"What purpose would I have to lie to him?" I muttered.

"I see..."

"Was there something wrong with what I said?"

"No, I just never knew much about how you felt about your past."

"Its not something I like to think a lot about. I have new reasons for living." Gaara grabbed my hand under the table. I squeezed it with reassurance. We all ordered our food and waited in a comfortable silence for it to arrive. Okami was curled up underneath the table, the weight of his body pressed against my legs was comforting.

"How are you feeling?" Gaara asked as our food arrived and he noticed I wasn't eating.

"Okay, just a little sleepy." I picked up a piece of my food and ate slowly. I could feel my stomach turning.

"Are you alright? You look pale." Temari stated when she noticed me put my chopsticks down.

"I..." I felt a new wave of nausea coming. I pushed myself to my feet. "I need some air." I rushed out of the restaurant and leaned against a tree, trying to calm the twisting in turning in my belly.

"Mia, what's the matter?" I felt Gaara's hand rest on my back gently.

"I don't know. I feel like I'm going to be sick."

"Does it have something to do with the food?"

"I'm not sure..." He touched my forehead.

"You don't have a fever. Are you sure everything is alright?" I took a few deep breathes and nodded at him. "Are you sure? I don't want you to get worse." I touched his arm gently.

"I'll be okay, come on Temari and Kankuro are probably worried."

Don't forget about me! Okami yelled from beside me. I smirked.

"I could never."