Chapter 37: Hope

Gaara's POV

After Temari and I ate our lunch, we paid and went looking for Mia. 

"Where do you think she went?" I muttered, regretting arguing with her earlier. 

"Most likely she just went to vent her frustrations somewhere. Just let her be, she'll be okay. Let's just get you back to your office." I reluctantly went with her back to my office and sat down in my chair. There was several piles of paper sitting there and I really wasn't in the mood to deal with them. 

"Lord Kazekage?" A knock came from the door. 

"Come in." One of our scouts walked in holding a scroll. 

"A report from Kankuro and the squad that went with him." I took the scroll from him, opening to read that they were about two more days away from the Leaf Village. Nothing worth mentioning had happened so they were simply just resting for the night. I closed the scroll. 

"Thank you." He bowed and exited the room. 

"How are they doing?" 

"They're fine. Nothing has happened to them." 

"That's good. You should probably get started on this paperwork." I groaned looking at it. "Hey you knew this was coming when you accepted the position of Kazekage." She chuckled from behind me. 

"I know." 

Temari! We both turned sharply to see Okami jumping through the window. 

"Okami?" She bent down. 

Mia wanted me to tell you she is at home asleep. 

"That's good, thank you for letting me know." A feeling of tightness came into my chest as Okami relayed the message. She didn't even tell Okami to say anything to me. 

Is something wrong, Gaara? He walked over to me, jumping into my lap. 

"Was she alright?" I asked.

She seemed upset, but she went and spoke to her mother...

"Her mother...so the cemetery." I muttered. 

Yeah, she seemed really sad.

"What time of the year is it?" I asked quickly. Temari went over to the bookshelf and pulled a history book out. She flipped it open and started searching for something, eventually she stopped flipping the pages and frowned. "What is it Temari?" 

"The anniversary of the destruction of the Village Hidden in the Snow is in two days...Mia said she didn't let it bother her anymore, but I think it still causes her a great deal of pain to think about. Especially now that her brother is gone as well. Deidara and Sasori mentioning him might have brought some of the wounds back from then." She explained. 

"That's why she was so insistent on leaving the hospital. She didn't want to be alone to think about it. I...only made it worse for her..." 

"Gaara, its not your fault." 

"But I didn't help matters by yelling at her." 

"Then apologize, its not that difficult." Temari remarked and then came over to grab Okami from me. 

"Where are you going?" I asked. 

"I'm going home to get some rest, you need to finish your work and then think about how to apologize to Mia." I sighed as the two vanished and I was left alone with my work. 

~

After what felt like hours of stamping and writing I had finished the piles of paperwork. I began making my way home as the moon shined high in the sky. I was exhausted. By the time I got to the house all the lights were off, Okami was sound asleep on the couch. I was about to go over and pet him when I thought about Mia.