Chapter 48: Orochimaru's Betrayal

I went back to the apartment after the sun had set. I didn't want anyone to be out looking for me. 

"I'm home." I called out as I walked in. 

"How are you doing?" I jumped a little when I noticed the voice wasn't my father's but Lady Tsunade's. I looked sharply at her. 

"What do you want?" My tone went ice cold an an instant. 

"To apologize."

"Nothing you say now will make up for the things that led to Haku's death. Not that it really matters much anymore. Where's my dad?"

"He went out on an assignment with Naruto and Sakura." 

"Couldn't very well leave me by myself?" I remarked. 

"Yes and no. I know you are capable of taking care of yourself. But I...I had to try and make amends for what was done to you thanks to Jiariya, Orichmaru and I." I looked at her a little confused. 

"I can understand you and Orochimaru, but what has Jiariya done?"

"The three of us were the ones who helped to stop the destruction of your village. We arrived too late, or so it seemed. Orochimaru said he had at least. We found those documents and handed them over to the specialists a few years ago. We thought if anyone could decipher what was in them it was them, but we never even thought of the consequences it would have in the future. When our mentor told us of your arrival in the village, we never thought that anything would come of it. But when the scientists explained the contents of those documents...I guess we were too ashamed of what had happened to you to tell you the truth." She looked down. 

"So you thought lying to me was better?"

"That was never our intention...if we could have gone back and done things differently we would have told you everything from the beginning. But we also knew nothing about the Osore. We were worried that it really did pose a threat to humanity as Rasa stated. I see now that, that is not the case."

"So you were afraid of me too...?"

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about what those eyes of yours could do when I first learned of them." 

"At least you're honest about it. Everyone else just shooed me off like I was a fly. But you can stand here and admit your mistake. I respect that more than you ignoring me." I stated. 

"Mia, I truly am sorry that we never told you the truth. If we had known the outcome of what would have happened to your brother...I would have wanted you to know. I know what its like to lose a little brother..." I could see the pain behind her eyes. I knew she meant every word she spoke to me. 

"I can't say I completely forgive you, because I don't. But I can understand why you did what you did. So I can say I will allow you to make amends." She gave me a grateful smile. "So where am I staying for the night?" I asked looking towards the window where I could see members of the Anbu. 

"As observant as always. Shikamaru's family has offered to look after you until Kakashi returns from his assignment." 

"Very well. I have already informed Lord Kazekage about my plans as well, so there is no need to contact him. I'm sure my father explained everything to you already."

"Yes. I am impressed you were able to reserve enough chakra in a week and a half than Sakura has in a year." I chuckled. 

"Shei made it a little easier. Sakura is doing it on her own abilities, she is a lot stronger than me in that regard." Tsunade chuckled softly. 

"I don't know you seem pretty strong yourself." I gave a soft smile. 

"Whatever you say." 

~