Battle Born

"That was the last one!" I announced to K as I lifted a golden chest onto the deck with the others.

"Then off we go!" K ordered and Liz and Leafa lowered the sails.

"Where's Asuna and Kirito?" Liz asked.

"They're taking some time away in my quarters. Best not disturb them." K informed as he made his way to the helm.

Lizbeth just nodded in understanding.

"Shino? What's our status?" K asked from the ships wheel.

"All is well, my Captain! We should make anchorage at port within the hour!" I called back with a smile, knowing how much he enjoyed this kind of thing.

He let out a pleasant chuckle.

"Well done." He smirked.

"Uhh, Kieran??" Asuna said from the back of the ship.

It was the first time any of us had truly referred to him by his real name. K rushed to the back of the ship and peeked down from his place near the wheel.

"What is it?" He asked.

Asuna pointed out at the water.

"...Something's following us..." She realized.

"What are you-" K took a closer look as well.

When I joined alongside him I saw that the sea behind us was being rippled, as if something were moving fast just beneath the crest of the water.

"What the hell is tha-"

"Shh!" K silenced Klein who stumbled behind us.

A tall wooden stick slowly emerged from the surface and below it was a small round platform. A skeleton pirate looked around thru a spyglass until the lens found us. It jumped at the sight of us and fumbled the spyglass a bit before screeching loudly with a point. The water rumbled beneath us and the platform ascended high as a grubby ship practically leapt from the sea at us. Torn sails, an algae ridden deck and a barnacle speckled hull greeted as a maniacal cackle came from the skeletal captain. He gripped his wheel and pointed his cutlass as his crew readied for battle.

"We've got a tail!" Kirito took initiative.

"Obviously!" K barked before rushing back to the wheel.

"Can't we outrun it?" Leafa asked.

"Maybe with wind in our favour." K made the choice and turned us into the wind.

Leafa and Liz quickly angled the sails and our ship was given a kick of increased speed.

"How's that?" K inquired.

"We're losing em'!" Klein informed.

"Good. Shouldn't be too long before they bugger off." K scoffed.

"No, wait..." Klein got a closer look at the ship pursuing us.

"What is it, Klein?" I moved to the back of our vessel to also get a better look.

The ship was indeed becoming more distant as we moved, but something was happening at the same time. Many hatches on the sides of the enemy vessel had opened up and from them sprouted long paddles made of dark oak wood. All in unison they rowed and rowed the water by, giving them a gradual but clear acceleration.

"They're gaining on us!" Klein yelled.

"What?? But those sails are tattered." K peeked back, not making sense of what was happening.

"They're using oars to close the distance! If we don't do something soon, they'll be on top of us until we sink!" I frantically informed.

K clenched his teeth as he took a moment to make a decision. We all looked to him for guidance but none was given. Instead, K looked menacingly back at the pursuing ship and slowly took his hands off the helm.