Great Escape

The solid thumps of Fenrir's galloping was suddenly accompanied by Skoll's distinctive panting as she ran alongside him. Sinon and I both bounced upon the backs of our furry steeds as we traveled swiftly across the wide open plains before the Great World Tree. As the two of us rode alongside each other, Skoll began to pull ahead and Fenrir instantly noticed. He let out a faint snarl and started to run faster, barely catching up to Skoll as she glanced over at him. Sinon giggled and Fenrir visibly exhaled from his nose. I peeked over at Sinon with a smile when Fenrir suddenly gained more forward velocity. In a barely discernible lead, Fenrir slowly pulled ahead and Skoll quickly growled over at him.

"Race you to Yggdrasil city!" Sinon leaned down and gripped Skoll's fur as they abruptly sped up.

"Come on, buddy. They're not getting away from us." I knelt down and briefly kicked my heels against his sides.

Fenrir let out a fierce bark and focused as he brought himself closer to the ground. Fenrir made haste just behind the girls and his ears folded down from the intense flowing winds. We rapidly made our way over to the foot of the Great World Tree and slowed our wolves to a trot as we entered the city's limits. Passing NPCs and other players were waving happily at us to which Sinon let out a faint giggle.

"It's so good to see everyone thriving again after everything that's happened." Sinon smiled as she peeked over at me with those gorgeous oceanic eyes.

"No doubt. Normally, people wouldn't bat an eye at us unless we were with our wolves. It's a welcome change." I nodded to my wife with a sure smirk as the two of us dismounted our steeds.

"Alright, first stop. I gotta go in here for a second so you stay out here and watch the dogs. Oh, and don't lose them." Sinon pointed at me with a wink as she entered the shop behind her.

"Wouldn't dream of it." I chuckled and looked over to Skoll and Fenrir who were both sitting obediently before me.

I smiled up at the beasts and went to scratch their chins simultaneously. Before my hands could caress their fur, the giant wolves instantly turned their heads away and looked over to watch something intently.

"Huh? What's the matter, bud? Something wrong?" I snapped my fingers up near Fenrir's ear but it suddenly waved me away.

I stepped back and looked up at the two captivated creatures as someone's footsteps began to get louder. I was about to turn to look over when I was unexpectedly tackled to the ground. My chest hit the pavement and I rubbed the pain away as a weight established itself on my back.

"K, you big dumb idiot!" A squeaky voice suddenly yelled.

I peeked over my shoulder and immediately spotted a familiar pink side ponytail.

"Oh. Hey, Kureha." I placed my palms on the ground at my sides and pushed myself to my feet.

The weight on my back didn't disappear however but instead the grip strength had tightened. I looked back again to see Kureha unintentionally still clinging onto me.

"What the- Ugh." Kureha scoffed and got off me to put her hands on her hips.

I turned around to face her as she scrunched her nose angrily at me.

"You total jerk! I came all the way to this game specifically for you and you can't even be bothered to show me around? When I brought you to GGO those years ago and I didn't leave you stranded on your own!" Kureha fumed.

I innocently rubbed the back of my head and let out a faint nervous laugh as I realized my mistake.

"I demand a tour, right now! You can make up for your everything you did wrong as we go!" Kureha quickly grabbed my wrist.