Esoteric Empire

We eventually arrived at the great mountains base and I recognized some burnt trees nearby. We were definitely in the correct place.

"This is it. Whatever we're looking for was said to be in this area." I informed as I scanned around.

"You mean you don't know what we're looking for?" Sinon wondered.

"I haven't the slightest idea on what it might be, but I have a feeling that it's important." I explained.

"But we're practically in the middle of nowhere. What could we possibly need here that's so important?" Liz asked.

"I don't know. We'll have to find out." I said with certainty.

"Why don't we try climbing the mountain? We're sure to see something from up top." Asuna suggested.

"Good idea. That'll be a helpful vantage point for our search." Kirito nodded in agreement.

"Splendid. Let's take the scenic route, hm? I would like to learn the path that leads up the mountain." I confidently walked ahead and led the others.

"Sounds lovely." Sinon took my arm.

"Ugh, walking?" Liz complained.

"Relax, Lizzy. I think a family walk would be nice for us!" Silica smiled.

"A family walk, huh? I dunno, sounds kinda sappy to me." She shrugged.

"I think it'll be fun!" Leafa came along as well.

"Ugh, fine. I'm too lazy to fly up there anyway." Liz slouched as we all began to make our way.

It was in that very moment, before we could even make any progress at all, that a Giant Wolf jumped down seemingly from the sky. It rumbled the ground and roared at us with a fierce snarl on its face. It's fur was black as night and its eyes were a bloody red glow.

"Everyone get back!" I stood my ground but didn't draw my blade.

Without even so much as a blink, the black wolf charged me and I instinctively jumped out of the way. I turned back to see my friends with their hands near their hilts when Silica suddenly stepped forward calmly. She smiled to it and slowly held her palm up to the beast to which it snarled again as it opened its mouth.

"Silica!" Kirito sprung into action and tackled her out of the way before it's massive jaws could bite down.

"You okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine. Thank you, Kirito." Silica nodded.

The wolf angrily howled then faced Asuna with a slow prowl forward. She hesitantly stepped back, not drawing her blade in case it pounced just as Sinon stepped in front of her and knocked an arrow in her bow. She drew back and aimed in less than a second but the beast barked with a sudden hop towards her.

"Shino!" I stopped her shot by pushing her to the ground, seeing no other way as I held my palms up to stop the wolf's large fangs.

She looked up at me as I stood in front to protect Asuna and the others began to draw their blades. I grinded my teeth together angrily as I struggled to hold back the monsters viscous overbite with my palms. My hands emitted a faint purple glow as I strained myself combatting the beast from advancing. It snarled and began to shake tensely as it tried to push back against me.

"I got it!" Klein charged in with his katana.

"Gale force winds!" Leafa yelled and the wind around me suddenly picked up.

In that same instance, the giant wolf that I struggled to hold at bay suddenly slid backwards on its paws.

"What the- Leafa!" Klein whined.