Extra Enigma

The crackle of the fire popped prominently under the night sky. The whispers of insects filled the air as the flickering light accented the looming palm trees. K fed his parakeet with seeds from his inventory whilst everyone else just sat in blissful silence.

"You look like a proper captain with that bird." Kirito smiled.

"I suppose I do." K smirked as he placed Pluto upon his shoulder.

"So K, I've been thinking. Why did you want to come out here if you're afraid of the ocean?" Leafa wondered.

K took a moment to think about his response.

"I didn't really know about it until I was on the edge of the plank." K shrugged, slightly holding his knees.

"Do you have a fear of the ocean in real life?" Asuna was curious.

"Mm. A small one, but definitely not this severe." K also seemed confused.

"Perhaps being a fire elemental has something to do with that." I reminded him.

K looked at me and nodded solemnly. A moment of silence passed as we all sat together in peaceful company.

"I'm afraid of snakes." Lizbeth reiterated.

"So we've heard." Kirito chuckled.

"Hey!" Liz squirmed.

"We're all afraid of something." I assured.

"What makes you so afraid of the ocean, K?" Asuna prodded.

K took a moment to think back. It was clear he was experiencing his fear for a second time as he huddled his knees close to his chest.

"The helpless abyss..." K generalized.

"It's alright, K. Everyone feels helpless sometimes." I assured him.

K just nodded again in response.

"Daddy, look! The Aurora!" Athena pointed up to the stars.

Everyone looked up and bared witness to the glistening colors of the northern lights above our heads.

"Wow..." Silica was amazed.

"It's beautiful." Leafa gazed.

"Definitely don't see that everyday." Kirito pointed out.

"Hey! Where's that reward I was promised!" Klein realized.

That's when K tossed him a bottle of rum. He caught it and looked up in surprise.

"Go crazy." K smirked, crossing his legs as he looked back up at the stars.

"Can we play with Pluto some more, daddy?" Athena asked.

"Not now, sweetheart. It's bedtime." K told her.

"Aww, but the lights just came out." Yui pouted alongside Athena.

"I'm sure you can stay awake if you lay quietly." Asuna encouraged with a smile.

The little ones just giggled and laid back together. The campfire crackled and popped, leaving us all to stare into the dancing flames. The surrounding silence blanketed our backs as we collectively sat in peace. That's when K started to hum the low notes of the song I had played for the snake.

"Row, row, row your boat gently on the seas. Pilfering, plundering, pandering loot, a Pirate's life for me." K sung.

"Come sail away with me underneath the night. Your mental prepare, the endless beware. Stay ready for a fight." I joined in.