Infected

Wind picked up around the room again in a cyclone, circling around K as his body levitated into the air. His green glowing eyes pierced my heart as I stared into the lost soul of my other half. The scars on his right eye and chest began to emit a green glow of their own and I saw some of his feathers turn grey. Black liquid flowed clearly thru his veins and when we thought the worst was over, K started to scream at the damage occurring within him. The roof was suddenly blown off and a dense green lightening storm swirled overhead. I was at a loss for words as I looked deep into the dead eyes of the one I loved most.

"I know you, K! You can fight back against this! You just need to calm down!" I shouted.

"K! If you don't snap out of it, I'll be forced to put you down for everyone's safety!" Kirito yelled and drew his sword to face him.

"Kirito, no!" I demanded.

"I have to, Sinon! For you, for Asuna, for Yui and for Athena! K would want you to be protected! And if he isn't going to do it, then I'll gladly be that protector again!" He stood in front of us all in a confident sword stance.

"Kirito..." I was moved by his willingness to risk his own well being at almost all times.

"Ki... ri... to." K struggled to speak.

The group of us snapped to attention and saw him slightly twitching.

"Ki, ri, to." K grinned and tilted his head, causing us all to be uneasy.

"K...?" I didn't recognize him anymore.

"Die, Kirito." He raised his palm and fired a blast of green flame but Kirito strafed out of the way for it to land next to us.

"Come on, K. Where are you in there?" Kirito asked him.

"Dead." K fired another blast, this time towards me.

"Shino!" Kirito tackled me and the fireball hit the wall behind us.

The two of us slowly got back up and I was startled by what had just happened.

"Only I call her Shino." K growled and ignited both of his palms in green flames as thunder rumbled aggressively overhead.

"Sinon! It's not safe here! Take Athena and get as far away from here as possible!" Kirito urged me.

"But what about-"

"I'll be fine! Asuna! I want you to take Yui and flee as fast as you can! I love you and I will see you again-" Kirito started.

"I'm not going anywhere! When you fight, I fight too!" Asuna cut him off.

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Sinon! Bring Yui with you and get the girls to safety! The two of us will deal with this." Kirito prepared to fight.

"I will. Be careful." I nodded and rushed out the door while holding Athena's hand.

"It's okay, Sinon. Mama and Papa will find a way to help him, I promise." Yui landed on my shoulder as a pixie and I ran towards the front double doors.

"I hope so. Skoll!" I called and she took my side with haste.

A bark suddenly came from the corner of the room to which I saw a saddened Fenrir curiously waiting at the bedroom door.

"You too, Fenrir. It's not safe here." I told him and he reluctantly followed us with a whimper.

In no time, I was galloping on the back of my white furry steed as Athena rode on top of Fenrir just next to us.

"We should take refuge in the Salamander territory. Their larger military power would provide us with enough protection if K was to come looking. We should find Klein and inform him of what has transpired." Yui advised.