Chapter Forty One ~ The Visit

"So, I hear that you're seeing my son?" The way in which the older woman spoke chilled Y/N to her core.

This is what she wants.

Don't let her intimidate you.

Instantly Y/N felt herself straightening up as she closed the door to her apartment, following the sound of Mrs Kim's heels as they appeared to investigate her surroundings.

"Yes, we're together." Y/N kept her voice steady, trembling fingers hidden behind her back as she wrinkled her nose at the suffocating scent of bergamot that trailed behind the older woman.

"This much I know but my question is...." Taehyung's mother pauses, there's a creak in the floorboards near the kitchen so Y/N suspects she's poking her head inside to take a look.

What right does she have to do this? To arrive unannounced at her home and poke her disapproving nose around where it isn't welcome.

"....my question is, why is my son interested in you?"

"Why shouldn't he be?" Y/N replied with indifference, not wanting to give the older woman ammunition to use against her at a later date should she respond too emotionally or harshly.

Mrs Kim laughs yet it isn't one of amusement but callousness. "I can think of many reasons."

"Enlighten me." Is Y/N's reply as she moves confidently across to where her favourite armchair sits just beneath the window.

Thank goodness she opened it once she got home to let some fresh air in, she needs it now to settle her racing heart.

"You're not what my son needs." The older woman speaks slowly as she approaches, the smell of bergamot growing more intense.

"What he needs is someone who loves and respects him, I do both." Y/N cocks a brow in the general direction of where she knows the older woman is standing. "Or is it because I'm blind? Or maybe the fact that my family doesn't make the money you do? I'm not Korean perhaps? The list is endless and I could continue or have I already hit the nail on the proverbial head?" Y/N doesn't know where her sudden confidence has come from but she isn't about to stop now.

She's so angry.

How dare this woman try to dictate who should or shouldn't be a part of Taehyung's life.

"Taehyung is such an incredible man, he's got the purest of hearts and wants to do so much with his life yet at every turn you seem to want nothing more than to drag him down. Why can't he be with me? He's happy, he loves me and I love him. I give you my word I will always treat him with nothing but the love and respect he deserves, so why can't you be happy for us? More importantly why can't you be happy for him?"

The silence which follows is almost as suffocating as Mrs Kim's scent.

"I was hoping to come here and either scare you away or buy you off yet it seems that with you neither of those things are going to work."

"You would be absolutely correct, nothing you...." Y/N gasps, words trailing off as a set of sharp nails dig harshly into her chin.

"Listen to me and make sure you don't forget what I'm about to tell you." The older woman tightens her grip. "I see right through this little act of bravery and defiance, you can't fool me. The woman I am, what I have to do on a daily basis to stay in my position of power makes me incredibly astute to these things. You may have won this battle but you will not win a war when you go head to head with someone like me so listen well to this piece of parting advice, if you value those closest to you then I suggest you end things with my son." The nails biting harshly into Y/N's skin gave one last malicious squeeze before disappearing. "You have one week, if you haven't ended things with him by then or if you tell him about me coming to visit you today then trust me when I say....it'll be your loved ones who suffer."

Y/N didn't say a word, didn't move an inch as she listened to the older woman leave her apartment. It was only when she could hear the elevator doors closing that her body allowed her to slump forward, fingers trembling as she gently rubbed them over her sore skin.

Taehyung warned her how ruthless his mother could be and he was right.

What was she going to do? Why did she have to bring her family and friends into this?! It had nothing to do with them!

Yet this is what she did, Taehyung said it himself....that she would use whatever she could to get her own way.

The question was....was Y/N going to let her?