Chapter 102 - No Help Comes for Free

Sokka had calculated the risks involved in the plan to get Toph to his side. Amongst the many things, one major change stood out the most.

Toph's confidence in herself. That was the biggest risk involved with the strategy he is using.

In the original series, she had figured out metal-bending by herself. So that had built within Toph unbreakable confidence in her abilities. But now, Sokka had roughed up that plan and made things move by faster. Sure, he might not have directly taught her metal-bending, but just telling her about its existence changed her perspective.

Since he predicted Toph's possible confidence problems, Sokka thought of many ideas on how he could help with that. But in the end, everyone has a plan until they're confronted by reality. 

So of course, like any competent stalk-... ehhh, observing person. Sokka made sure to keep an eye on everything Toph did throughout the next day, and he could understand better now why Toph wanted to do something like joining the Earth Rumble Tournament or run away with the Avatar's group.

Because her life was miserable, the most exciting part of her day was casually walking in the yard alone, most of the time escorted by a guard. Was that a life worth living? Sure, she might have all her needs met, and might never have to worry about anything. But human life without adversity was instinctively something boring.

During this time of… observation, for some strange reason he couldn't be bothered to try and comprehend; June kept tagging along with him. 

Sokka's thoughts on June differed, as he knew she was a mercenary, someone who would offer fighting and tracking services for a price. Sure, he might keep his distance from her, only giving the woman information with sprinkles of truth where it would end up being beneficial for him. But at the end of the day, he was also protecting her.

His act of not caring about her situation didn't make him completely oblivious to it. June knew how she would end up if the Fire Lord himself heard of her transaction. 

Thinking of her abilities, he couldn't help but exclaim. "Huh, you're pretty compatible to be an assassin. Your skills are very suited for it."

"If you're trying to convince me to kill someone for you, then the answer is No." June replied without missing a beat. 

Assassination was a dangerous thing, as it could brew hatred. When you kill someone, the people they live behind will come after you for revenge. Even she knew that getting involved in it would end up with her likely dead. Don't kill if you're not prepared to die. While the saying itself might not hold a deep meaning at face value, it also meant that if you killed someone, they had people close to them who would cry… and come to kill you. 

"Of course, I won't force you to do anything. I was just commenting on your abilities." Sokka shook his head, he understood quite well how killing someone could end. 

He understood that out there in the world probably were some people who hated him, as he had killed someone close to them. But he was prepared for people to hate him. "Anyway, it's time to go and help the orphans around here. Keep an eye on Toph for me. Though if you don't want to, then you don't have to."

Fwish!

He disappeared in a burst of speed. Leaving behind only empty air and rushing wind, that gently blew June's hair.

"Tch, I can never get used to that, no matter how many times I see it." June always felt a sense of powerlessness at his burst of speed. It wasn't something a human was supposed to be able to do. *sigh* "At least try and act like you're normal around me, as you do around other people."