Chapter 01: Coincidence?

"There is quite a heartbreaking news for you, Lavender." Her so called assistant, Claire, said.

"What is it?" Lavender asked tensely, as her brows furrowed and her fingers stopped tapping the keyboard. Claire smiled her little innocent smile before bringing her hands to the front to cross them.

"Your book has been rated as one of the bestsellers!" She giggled, clapping her hands in celebration.

"You're going to give me a heart attack, Claire Rosewood. Whether it's good or bad, one day you surely would." Lavender sighed in relief.

"But still! We both get a raise in our pay now!"

"That doesn't mean I must die."

"Sorry." Claire bit her lip with an intention to suppress her smile.

"Is he here?"

"Yeah, he's waiting for you, mademoiselle."

"Let's head down then. And geez, stop being so cheesy." Lavender scoffed, marching forward with pride.

Lavender Hills was an elegant, beautiful and competent writer of her age. Her name was perfect for her personality. Brown hazel eyes, tinted rosy cheeks, naturally long caramel brown hair that swirled at the ends, a slim body and a height that gave competition to most of the average women. She even dressed like she was living in a book.

She was the definition of perfect. Unlike the other girls, her dream wasn't to find true love. Though she was a writer of romance and other similar genres, she wanted to experince life to the fullest before settling down with someone. No doubt there had been times where she made mistakes and acted clumsy, but she was always responsible for it.

She had to meet up with her publisher cum manager Jim, who was waiting to meet her downstairs regarding her next work. He was also the director of the publication company.

"Ah, Ms. Hills. Please come." Jim chuckled. "Funny of you to say that in my house. And what's with being all formal?" She smirked, motioning Claire to get a fresh drink for the guest, who also happened to be her boss.

"Now that your book is a bestseller, I must pay respect." He joked.

"Please sit down and drop that formality while you're at it." Lavender scoffed, sitting on the couch followed by Jim. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Lavender, I need you to come up with a new work as soon as possible. I need it done ASAP." He joined his hands in front of him.

"And the deadline being?" She asked.

"In the next few weeks?" He shrugged, squeezing his eyes.

"Didn't the book we released this month just become the bestseller?"

"Yes, but you must still write one."

"Why another? And most importantly, why so urgent?"

"You see, our other writer, who was supposed to finish his work by this month, decided to go incognito."

"You mean, Bates?" Lavender scoffed, taking a glass of a cold fresh drink off the tray from Claire's hand. "Indeed." Jim chuckled in exaggeration, coping her actions.

"Why do I need to write a book if Bates doesn't write his?"

"Come on, Lav. You know Bates is such an influential writer. We cannot force him. He just doesn't listen!"

"So, I'm not that important?" Lavender raised her eyebrow, partially in sarcasm and partially in offence.

"Don't be like that, you know how important you are. But try to understand. Kilns Word Publications needs to publish a book by next year."