Chapter 34: Jealousy

Lavender regained consciousness.

She had a hard time trying to open her eyes. It was like they had been glued together. What's going on? She wondered. She had a severe headache due to dehydration. She tried moving her limbs, but they were jammed like some rusty machine parts. Her hand had a stinging pain, both of them.

Lavender managed to squeeze her eyes open, finding an old aged woman sitting beside her with her head propped on her hand on the table. She was quick to realize and turned her gaze at Lavender to find she was awake.

"Finally. I had lost hopes." She sighed, spinning her metallic chair to face her. It made a screeching noise which was irritating to Lavender's ears. "What's going on?" She asked, being able to move her fingertips. "Tristen brought you here." She said, soaking a cloth in water to wipe her face.

She was covered in sweat head to toe. "Am I at the hospital?" She asked weakly. "No, but I'm an experienced medical practitioner. By illegal means, of course." She broke out a chuckle, making Lavender feel at ease. Lavender had no idea of who that woman was, but watching her laugh tended to ease those doubts. She wiped her neck and chest with the wet cloth after she was done with the face.

"I'm sorry, but with all due respect, who are you?" She asked. "Just call me Granna. That's what Tristen has been calling me since he was a kid." She said, putting the wet cloth aside. "You're his grandmother?" Lavender smiled. "Godmother, to be clear. But I consider him no less than my grandson. I was his grandmother's friend, from the mom's side. I brought up his mother and after she passed away, I raised him. Not that he really needed my help, he was in his 20s by then." Granna explained, recalling those olden days.

"Time goes by really quick." Lavender gave a faint smile. "Yes, it does. Drink this." She gave her a glass of water. "You're dehydrated. You must be having the worst headache of your life right now."

"You're really amazing. I was going to tell you that." Lavender giggled softly, as Granna helped her sit upright. Then she helped her drink the water, before placing the glass back on the table. "What happened to me?" She finally asked. "Little girl, you got seven stitches on your wrist. And a blood transfusion." Granna said.

"Oh my god! What?" Lavender widened her eyes, getting back to her original self. "The blood that's running in your veins is Tristen's. He's type O+, don't worry." She said, as Lavender stared at her in disbelief. "He gave his blood for me?" She blinked her eyes twice. "Little girl, he loves you more than his life. Giving his blood is no deal for him." Granna laughed. "Tristen..." Lavender turned her gaze to the front, staring at nothing in the distance. "You don't know how much he cried and complained to me while you were unconscious. He was constantly telling me to save you, and kept asking if you were fine while I performed the procedure on you." She added.

"Oh my god, he was crying?" Lavender teared up. "I must have put him through a hard time." She started crying as well. "You both are really made for each other." Granna chuckled, patting her head.

"Did you know you were carrying a baby, Lavender?" She asked, holding her hand to check her pulse. "I found out just today before Tristen shot his friend. I figure he must've told you everything." She explained. "Yeah, he told me everything. Even about your parents." Granna replied, standing up. "Let me tell him you're up." She said.

"I'm sure she'll be alright." Brendon said, patting Tristen's shoulder. "She has to be alright." Tristen muttered, sitting on the couch with his top three buttons undone. Brendon sighed softly, feeling bad for his boss. Every man in the living room did; they had never seen him that way.

To make the situation chaotic, a voice called from the doorstep. "Tristen? Is that you?"

Tristen and the others spun their heads to the front door to find a girl about the same age as Tristen, standing at the doorstep. "Cady..." Brendon chuckled awkwardly. "Hey, handsome!" Cady squealed, rushing towards Tristen while ignoring Brendon. "You came for me?" She happily asked, standing in front of him.