Chapter 13: Let's Go Home, Love

Tristen knocked on the front door of Lavender's house.

He had his car parked right outside their gate in the empty street. He knew there'd be no one out there given the fact that people avoided going outdoors at night in Bilsburg. No one got out after 9 pm. Even if someone did, they might have to witness a gun fight for which no one had the time to appear in front of the legal authorities and officially have their lives endangered.

Tristen kept glaring at the yellow light scattering out of the clear glass from Lavender's room, wondering if she would open up.

"Who is it so late- oh." Her mother opened the door, dropping her jaw slightly apart at the sight a of young man. From the look on her face, she might have found her future son in law. "Hello, ma'm." Tristen smiled warmly, standing his ground. He was not at all taken aback by encountering her mother instead of Lavender, since it was something one should have expected.

"Why are you out here in the dark, young man?" Her mom worriedly asked. She was impressed by his looks, thinking of ways to set him up with her daughter. "I was here for Lavender, if I'm not very rude." He said with a grin. "Oh my god!" Her mother put her palms to her heart. "You both know each other?"

"Yeah, we do. Quite personally, actually. I'm Tristen." He smiled, holding out his palm to shake hands.  "I would be damned to have such a handsome guy for my little Lavender!" She laughed excitedly, holding his hand with both of hers.

"I could say the same for myself." He added, making her laugh even more. "You have such a good sense of humor. But I must say that you will have to come back tomorrow. Lavender is tired and is sleeping in her room. She just got back today." She replied politely. "But I completely do NOT mind you coming in for a cup of tea. It is cold, indeed."

"No thanks, I understand. Do tell her that I was here."

"Obviously, I would! She would be so happy to hear that!"

"I don't think the same. She has been distancing herself from me." Tristen hinted at the tone of complain in his voice.  "Why so? Do you want me to get her to her senses?" Mrs. Hills said in a triggered manner.

"No, there's no need for that. She has been paranoid ever since this was brought in front by the media."

"Oh! So you're that guy?" Her mother clasped his arm. "Fortunately, yes." Tristen smiled. "We tried so hard to get Lavender to talk about you. She just does not open up." She said, complaining about her daughter.

"She might need some time. I am the reason she came back here." He shrugged. "I'm sure she will understand. We will make her, her father and I." She laughed merrily, as if what she had said was not a threat to Lavender. Tristen's eyes fell on Lavender's window, finding her standing frozen at her balcony. Her hair were let down, blowing gently along with the chilly breeze. She could not believe her eyes. 

Tristen Killings talking to her mother?

She wondered what made her laugh so much. How did Tristen even manage to slip past the guards set by her mother and right into her heart?

They locked their eyes with each other, as Tristen felt a strange feeling in his heart. He had never experienced it, ever, the feeling of getting butterflies. His eyes felt so soothed to take in the sight of Lavender. She rolled her eyes at him, which made him smile. There was a little mischief behind his smile. "I will take my leave now, ma'm." He said, getting his cue. "Tristen, be careful out there, alright? This area is very dangerous. There have been a lot of mafia fights during the night." Her mother said with concern.

"Don't worry, I will be alright." Tristen smiled confidently, turning around to walk. I'm the reason why they happen, he thought. "We will be waiting for you tomorrow!" She waved at him as Tristen gave her a smile back, while opening the door of his car. "Such a brave young boy." Mrs. Hills sighed in his awe.