Chapter 24: Delivering The Envelopes

"How much money do you owe him?"

"100 million."

"It's very strange of you to not have money. It's like saying, a fish lives on a land."

"Tristen, try and understand. I have it all out invested in businesses and I still haven't received the goods to sell ahead. The rest, I've lent it to a few. I have no more than a hundred thousand."

"How old is your daughter again?" Tristen sighed, spreading his legs wide while seated on his couch. "She just turned twelve." Bates said shamefully. "You got her mother pregnant right after her teens? Weren't you 22, when you had her?" He scoffed.

"Yes, and her mother 20. She passed away moments after she delivered her." He said, lowering his eyes. "Premature delivery?" Tristen asked, intentionally belittling him. "Tristen, it's only you who I can come to. You're the only one who will help me now, the entire market laughs at me. I accept that her mother's death was my fault, but my daughter is the only one I've got after her. It reminds me of her so much, I cannot afford to lose her too. Please." He pleaded.

There were a lot of guards in Tristen's living room, including those of Bates. The situation was very tense and serious, given the circumstances.

"100 million?" Tristen raised a brow. "That's right." Bates nodded. His face showed immense worry and grief, having high hopes of being spared for his intentional attempts to harm Tristen. It was the most embarrassing and demeaning moment in Bates' life because he had reached the extent where he was seeking help from whom he envied the most.

"It's too much money. Find someone else." Tristen yawned as he shooed him with his hand before standing.

"Tristen, please! I'll pay you back with 10% interest the moment I get my goods delivered." Bates got on his knees to beg in front of him. "I swear I'll leave you and Lavender alone, I won't lift my eyes at her. Please get my daughter for me!" He started crying. "They would sell her and send her to Russia or such country where it'll be impossible to get her out! She's just 12! I can't have her serve men! You know how they are, they'd do anything for entertainment."

Lavender would want me to help the girl, Tristen thought. "What do we do Tristen? Do I shoo him away or you want me to get the cash?" Brendon asked, as they watched Bates have his mental breakdown. "Fine." He sighed, making Bates look at him hopefully. "Really? You'll help me?" He smiled, holding Tristen's foot. "You can give me 500 thousand and then rest I'll arrange. I won't trouble you much!"

"I'll pay the whole."

"What?" Bates stared at Tristen in disbelief, confirming that it was not a dream. "Thank you so much, Tristen! I'll return it to you with double the interest then!" He happily said, wiping his tears as he stood up.

"Keep it. I don't want the extra money."

"That'll be a loss, why'd you do that?"

"Because that's your price for staying out of me and my fiancée's life." Tristen said, pointing his gun at him. Bates fell on the table behind as he got startled, staring at the gun. "It's a deal if you agree." He put his thumb on the hammer. "I agree. No additional terms." Bates nodded, joining his hands desperately.

"I'll have it delivered to your place by this evening." Tristen said, as the telephone rung and Brendon made his way to attend it. "Thank you so much, Tristen." Bates said, before he took his leave. "He really seemed to be pleading genuinely this time. Else he always has that attitude towards me." Tristen scoffed, walking to the telephone.

"Who's it?"

"Your wife." Brendon teased. "Mind you, no jokes when it comes to her." He scolded. "Hello?" Tristen answered, knowing it well that it was not Lavender.