Chapter 37: Return of Something Evil

"Gently, pick it." The surgeon said to the assistant.

Upon the head surgeon's commands, the assistant took the tweezers to hold the alien substance inside the body of the patient. "Careful! It's a sensitive area, we can afford no risks or chances. Be precise." The surgeon warned, as the assistant nodded.

He carefully squeezed the tweezers and got a firm grip on the tiny object. "Very good. Now pull it out, slowly." He guided while holding the skin of the patient apart. The other surgeon held out a kidney tray in which the assistant placed the object. It fell onto the tray with a metallic clattering sound.

"Good. Get the staples and suture needles. We need to seal it up." The surgeon ordered as the rest got to work. Soon enough, the light above the operating room was turned off, indicating that the surgery had ended. The doctors came out, covered with sweat, to the only few people waiting in the lobby.

"How'd it go?" A man asked. "Success. He was very lucky to have survived a bullet that was aimed at the head. It missed the crucial point and hit his ear instead. We'll discuss the rest after he wakes up." The doctor said, moving past those group of men.

"He'll be alright, right?" Another guy asked. "Yes, he has to be. Nobody should know about this, okay?" The man replied as everyone nodded. "He'll be soon getting his revenge on the man who did this all to him. Poor Juggy." They all spun around in the direction of the door, looking through the small window at Juggy, who lying unconscious.

*  *  *

"Pass it through the loop to seal it." Granna said. "Like this?" Lavender asked, doing as she was told. "Yes, correct. That's a good crochet." She smiled, patting Lavender's head. "You learn pretty fast."

"Thanks, Granna. I really hoped I could do all of this with my grandmother. She passed away when I was only 4." Lavender said, looking at her small pink pattern of crochet. "Well, you have me. I'm so glad Tristen brought you here. Give me a great-grandchild now already, will you?" She teased. "Granna!" Lavender giggled, placing her palm on her knee. "You see, Cady refuses to marry any man. I had lost hopes of seeing a grandchild. At least, Tristen made it come true by bringing you here." Granna smiled, looking at her hands.

She was getting slight tremors. "I'm going to last a five more years, at maximum. I'm happy I can see you both get married before that." She said, patting Lavender's hand. "Come on, don't say like that. You're going to outlive everyone on this planet." Lavender grinned.

"Ah, giving me false reassurances? Naughty girl." She playful slapped Lavender's shoulder as they both merrily laughed.

"I see you ladies getting along." Tristen remarked. He was watching them with his arm rested on the handrail at the end of the staircase. "Granna's teaching me how to knit. I just learned a crochet." Lavender cheerfully showed him her work. "Wow, look at that. At this rate, we're going to open up a store and sell these woollens at the highest rate." Tristen smirked, holding the knitted pattern into his hands.

"Now I get where you get the habit of giving false reassurances." Granna chuckled, getting up from her seat. "I feel like you both are talking about me." Tristen raised a brow, sitting beside Lavender. "Yes, we are. Instead of giving her your bad habits, take her out for a walk in the forest." Granna scoffed, holding her back in pain.

"I'm going to get some rest now." She mumbled, as she made her way towards her room. "That's a great idea. Let's go." Tristen held his hand out for Lavender, who took it without a thought. "I know every corner of the forest." He proudly boasted, coming out of the mansion with Lavender.

"That's impressive." She flashed her eyebrows at him. "I know, right?" He smirked, putting an arm around her. They both walked on the trail, entering the forest.