Chapter 27: The Day We Become One

"Awh! Look at this!" Lavender happily squealed at her kitten, Creampuff, who was jumping to catch the hanging feather toy which she was holding. She was playing with him joyfully, forgetting for a moment that she was not well. "I'm tired without even having to move around!" She exhaled. "How come you're still so energetic?" She picked him up in her arms while sitting on her knees.

Petting him for a while, she gave him a few kisses and put him back near his bed. She poured a little more kitten food in the bowl for Creampuff to eat. "Eat well and grow into a big furry ball so I can hug you to sleep. We can let Tristen sleep on the floor." She giggled at the thought of having a cute chubby cat. She let out a small sigh before looking at the time.

"Ah, it's time I leave. Better give Jim a hard copy of these drafts along the soft one." She petted him once more, recalling the plan that she had made; she was going to ask Tristen to marry her. She wanted to end those mafia troubles for once and for all; for the good of both of them. She stood up and went in to choose her best dress for the day before heading for a warm shower.

"What is Juggy up to these days?" Tristen asked, sipping some coffee while reading the newspaper. "Nothing out of the ordinary. Everything seems to be fine, it's going all usual." Brendon replied, taking a seat beside him. "Bates got his daughter back, right?"

"He did. Bates called me right after, but I was..."

"With Lavender, I know."

"However, I did get back to him later. Though he got Renee back, he seemed more concerned about something else." Tristen replied.

"What else?"

"Juggy let him go without a fight. Bates said that he was drunk while he took the money in exchange for her daughter, but I don't think the same."

"What do you mean?"

"Juggy has something going on. He will not sit quiet because he must've figured that I helped Bates. Indirectly, I ruined his business because now he is one person short, and that is because Bates took Renee away." Tristen shut the newspaper to rub his temples. "Do you think Lavender is in danger?" Brendon asked. "I don't think, Brendon, I KNOW she is in danger." Tristen removed his revolver tucked behind him under his shirt and threw it on the table.

"That reminds me, I had to call Lavender and ask her if she's well." He pulled out his phone to dial her number. "Isn't she well?" Brendon asked, playing with Tristen's revolver. He rolled the gun on his finger by sticking it in through the trigger hoop. "Yeah, and I don't think she knows about it." He replied with a little worry in his tone.

"Tristen?" Lavender picked up.

"Where are you, love?" He asked.

"I'm about to enter Jim's office for the meeting. Why?"

"I told you that I'd drop you. You know things don't smell good these days."

"I know, and I'm heading straight to your place after I'm done."

"I'll come get you."

"Tristen I swear I'll be okay! Don't worry about me."

Tristen took a deep breath before exhaling it. "Alright. What about your fever? Did you throw up again?" He asked. "Thankfully not. I'm feeling very good today, better, in fact." She smiled, being as cheerful as ever. "Okay, call me when you're done." He said. "Sure! I love you." She replied.

"I love you." He smiled, before Lavender hung up. "Send Peter and a few other to Kilns Word Publications. My Missus is very stubborn." Tristen said. "She's a female version of you, Tristen." Brendon smirked, throwing his revolver back at him after standing up. "Talk much?" He raised his brow and pointed his gun at Brendon.