3 Old Friends Part 2 Baffled

On the Wednesday after the Tuesday meeting of John Galt's group, Julie informed me that John had asked her out. Shortly after that Destiny cornered me and asked, "What is going on Joe?"

I figured news travels fast and Destiny was asking about Julie and our mysterious stranger. I figured wrong. Still, I answered, "I wish I knew. Julie told me she is going on a date with Mr. Galt. Honestly, I don't feel very good about it."

Destiny stared as if she were trying to read something written on the inside of my scull, but it was written in gibberish. "What are you talking about?"

"What are —you— talking about?" I asked hoping to back up to a point where we were having the same conversation.

"I'm talking about Pixie." She gave me a second to catch up to this topic. "Joe, Pixie is no waitress."

"Give her some time. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it."

Now Destiny was just exasperated with me. "That's not it. She is doing fine as a server. It is just that last night when we were serving those nerds, I caught her studying their computer screens. I know a little bit about coding, but nothing on those screens made any sense to me. That was some pretty advanced stuff. Yet, Pixie was looking like she really understood what was there. Some one that familiar with code doesn't work as a waitress. I even caught her snapping pictures of their screens while pretending to answer her cell phone. What is going on Joe?"

I had been afraid Destiny might see through Pixie's ruse. I didn't know what to do. I've found that when in doubt, honesty is the best policy. Lies only complicate things. Although, lies of omission aren't really lies. So, I answered, "I don't know what to tell you. I'm baffled too."