7 Circling the Wagons Part 3 Farewells

Julie put her hand on Lupin's arm and asked, "Where are you taking him?"

"The fewer people who know that the better, young lady. For now, we should keep it to just John and me. You should say your goodbyes now. We're running out of time and you two may not see each other for a piece."

With that, the rest of us left John and Julie alone in the office to say their goodbyes.

It didn't surprise me that they remained in the office for some time. It was a surprise when Julie came out and rushed past us. She was clearly upset. She was crying. Pixie tried to comfort her, but she just shrugged off Pixie's hands from her shoulders, saying, "Not now," and hurried away from us.

I gave Pixie a quizzical look and asked, "Do you know what's going on with her?"

"I suspect John just broke up with her," Pixie said furrowing her eyebrows.

"Why would he do that?" I asked. "I thought for sure they were the real thing."

"Honestly, you are as dense as my friend Chuck. He did it because he loves her. He doesn't want her to be emotionally bound to someone whose current future is either prison or a life on the run. If we want to get them back together, we are going to have to figure out who leaked that code and exonerate John!"