8 Looking for John Galt Part 1 Lookin Ta Do Some Hiking

From the impeccable plain business suit, the freshly shined shoes, and the arrogant manner, I knew immediately this was the FBI agent who was looking for John. "I'm looking for a John Galt?" The agent inquired of the entire room.

"Who is John Galt?" Lupin couldn't resist asking with the smirk of someone privy to an inside joke. Lupin had returned to the bar and was occupying his usual barstool near the door. Hopefully, he had successfully hidden John somewhere safe.

The agent just ignored Lupin's question and approached me as I was filling Lupin's mug at the taps. "You must be Joe."

"And you must be agent Fink," I answered just as rudely.

"So, where is Galt?" Fink demanded.

"I have no idea. He left here a couple of hours ago."

"Weren't you supposed to keep him here?"

I answered, "he said he had to be someplace. There was nothing I could do. Keeping track of people is your job, not mine." I did not like this Agent Fink.

He ignored my response and once again addressed the entire room, "Does anyone here know the whereabouts of John Galt?" When he got no response, he announced, "I am a federal Agent and Galt is the subject of a federal investigation. Anyone failing to cooperate or who intentionally interferes with his apprehension is obstructing justice." He scanned the room honestly expecting someone to respond to his threat. When no one did he tried again, "So, if anyone knows anything about where he is, they need to tell me now."

To my surprise, Lupin answered, "He's probably gone to ground. Hidin' somewheres in the woods."

"That really narrows it down, doesn't it?" Fink snapped sarcastically.

"Mister, that's a peculiar way to talk ta somebody who was gonna offer to hep ya."

Julie got a worried look on her face. I think she feared Lupin might betray John. I knew better and gave her a reassuring look and shook my head indicating she should not interfere and just let Lupin do his thing.

"And how might you help me?" Fink asked doubtfully.

"Nobody knows these woods better than me. I could be convinced to act as a tracker and guide to hep ya find this runaway. Unless of course you'd rather tell yer bosses that you screwed up and lost him."

After a bit of thought and trying not to sound desperate Fink asked Lupin, "Do you have an idea of where he might be hiding out?

"I might, and I been lookin' for an excuse ta do some hikin'. Lupin got up from his stool and headed for the door. He turned and glared at Fink, "Well, do ya wanna come along or not?"

Fink clearly did not like this. As he looked between Lupin and myself, I just shrugged. I could tell he figured out he had no other options. He accompanied Lupin out the door.

I had no doubt Agent Fink was going to have an interesting afternoon. The woods are full of wild geese and I was pretty sure it was Lupin's intent to chase them.