4 Some Enchanted Evening Part 2 Someone may be laughing.

John began his story grinning, "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

Julie started laughing, "I know that one too. Give me a second," she squinted as if straining her memory. "Got it! It's the opening line of Catcher in the Rye." Julie was pleased with herself. "You really are quite well versed in the classics. But how is it you remember all the opening lines? I studied these lines because I want to be a writer. What is your excuse?"

"I guess because I was named after one?" John shrugged. "My parents' last name is Galt and my father really liked Ayn Rand's books. So, that's how I got my name. Names often set our paths in life. My name and my father's prompting, also led me to a career in technology."

John waited for the waiter to finish refilling their wine glasses and then continues. "I'm actually a bit of an introvert. I have always preferred the rigorous rules and predictability of mathematics rather than the uncertainties of social interactions. So, a career dealing with things rather than people suited me just fine. I guess that is also why I memorize opening lines from books. The opening lines are sort of like formulas for conversation. I function better when I have formulas.

"I wanted to major in math, but my dad wanted me to get an engineering degree. I compromised and got my degrees in computer science. I got them from U. C. Davis, was recruited by a Silicon Valley start-up, and that is where I've worked for the last six years." John leaned back satisfied with his synopsis.

"And what about outside of work?" Julie prompted him.

"I don't really have any hobbies other than programming," he paused and then added with a chuckle, "and memorizing opening lines, I guess. "I've had very little social life; so, I know nothing about dating." He looked down at his plate thinking he probably just embarrassed himself with that last remark. Then he decided to go all in, looked up from his plate and said, "I was hoping you could help me with that."

Julie didn't answer right away. She is thinking, he is good looking, open, a bit shy, and yet at the same time a bit forward. He even sort of shares my interest in literature, at least in a quirky sort of way. She tilted her head and playfully answered, "I think I'd like that."

He smiled, reached across the table and took her one hand holding it with both of his, he gazed into her eyes as if asking permission, he pulled it to him and lightly kissed it. "So, was that okay?"

"Like your song, perhaps a bit dated. But old fashion can be charming."

"Now it's your turn. What is Julie's story?"