6 Confrontation Part 2 A Superior Software Six Shooter

Julie had listened patiently and decided a lot of what John was saying sort of made sense, but she had several questions.

"So, your spyware is just a better six shooter to put you on equal footing with the rustlers?" Julie questioned.

"That is what I'm saying, and hopefully it will be better than any gun that has ever been built." John smiled thinking he had gotten his point across rather cleverly.

"How were you planning to deploy this super shooter anyway?"

"Our group members are from a dozen different companies that provide software to thousands of other companies. Once we decide to launch, each member will insert our code into their company's product. Our software will be everywhere very quickly. We will be able to track everything that goes on in every part of the web. No one will be able to attempt any form of cybercrime without us knowing about it. Besides the lack of regulations, the biggest problem with the internet is the anonymity the government permits. That is why the hackers never get caught. It is too easy to hide, but they won't be able to hide from us."

"So, you haven't deployed anything yet?"

"Not yet."

"Good to know the gun is still in the holster. Because John, whether it is a six shooter, an automatic rifle, or an atomic bomb, the real problem is not where the bad guys are hiding. It is making sure they don't get their hands on your gun."

"Well, we just won't let that happen. That is why we do everything on wired networks and insist on all this secrecy."

"And yet the FBI knows about it," Julie pointed out.

John rubbed his forehead and sighed, "Yeah. Maybe one of our guys couldn't resist trying the code out in the real world. It was probably an early preliminary version. That is how it got detected and that is why we are continuing to improve it. Our current version will be virtually undetectable."

Julie continued to challenge his thinking, "can you really trust everyone in your group? Are you sure everyone in your posse has the same agenda? Have you put as much effort into screening your members as you have into developing this super software six shooter? Are you sure one of them hasn't sold the gun already?"