9 More FBI More Complications Part 3 Getting Started

POV: Pixie

The ever-paranoid Lupin allowed me to discuss my plan with John. Yeah, he made me put on a hood and drove me to an undisclosed location. Lupin was certain we were being followed. I'm pretty sure our route covered most of the Tahoe basin. We ended up at the end of a road used by off road vehicles somewhere in the Tahoe National Forest. John was waiting for us sitting on a tree stump of a recently felled tree.

"I hear you have a plan," he smiled.

"I do if you can come up with some code that will convince your cohorts it is an improvement on your existing malware."

"I'll do anything to end my confinement with this provincial pundit," John waved his hand teasingly indicating Lupin who merely grunted ignoring the gibe.

John listened to my plan and said he could probably come up with a couple of unique versions of the software, but he had no suggestions as to who might be the more likelier suspects. He did warn me it was a rather eclectic and eccentric group and that the interviews could take some time since most of the programmers liked nothing better than talking about themselves. I would probably have to conduct the interviews over several meetings. That was just as well since it would take a couple of weeks for John to come up with the code we would use. So, we could use the meetings until then just for the interviews.

John agreed to call all his people to explain to them they'd keep up the meetings at Joe's and to explain about the interviews I'd be conducting. Lupin was not keen on John making all those calls insisting he do it from an untraceable burner phone. Even then, Lupin suspected Big Brother government might be watching.

With that settled, Lupin re-hooded me, and we headed back to the bar.