15 I Think We're Alone Now Part 3 Running Just as Fast as We Can

POV: John

No way was I going to sit idly by while Julie was missing and there were human traffickers in the area kidnapping people. Fortunately, Lupin let me bring my own car when we went into hiding and despite the circuitous route that I had had to followed him to our current location, I was pretty sure I could find my way out. I packed up the tent and other camping gear Lupin had given me and took off.

When I got back to civilization, I realized that I had no idea where to begin my search. I figured I should keep an eye on Joe's and that intersection where the traffickers were known to grab hitchhikers. But I couldn't just hang out in the parking lot at the intersection, someone at Joe's might see me. I figured I could camp in the forest around Round Hill. That way I could stay out of sight and still keep an eye on Joe's and the intersection.

The place where I set up camp was no less comfortable than where Lupin had had me staying. At least here, I could enjoy the sunrise from atop Round Hill. I had enjoyed several such sunrises. This morning my enjoyment was interrupted by a scream coming from the side street leading to the intersection. I went on a run down the hill to check it out.

I got close enough to see two guys shoving a young woman into their car and driving off. They were stopped at the intersection stop light, which gave me time to notice Julie's car and realize she could very well be who I just saw kidnapped. I ran straight to my car and began following the kidnappers.

I kept several car lengths back and tried to look like a clueless tourist taking in the scenic drive, but if I gripped the wheel any tighter, I would have broken it free of the steering column. Once again, I had no idea what I was going to do. I just knew I wasn't letting her out of my sight. I considered calling the police, but with my luck they'd end up arresting me and I'd lose Julie. Every scenario I'd run in my mind ended bad. The kidnappers probably had guns; so, I couldn't overpower them. At least not without help. If I called the police, there might be a gun battle and Julie could get shot in the crossfire. I'd just have to follow them, see where they take her and then figure out a way to sneak her out from wherever they held her.

As long as they stayed on highway 50 my trailing them would remain inconspicuous, but at some point, they'd turn off and depending on the type of road it might be noticeable if I followed them. Sure enough, the road they turned onto was an isolated dirt road that probably went back to some secluded vacation cabins. I decided to drive past their turn off and pull off the highway as soon as I was out of their sight. Cars parked along the side of 50 were a common sight here. Visitors frequently pulled off and took off hiking through the woods. I figured I'd hike back to the turnoff and follow that road to wherever it led. This side of 50 was flanked by national forest and very tall mountains making it very likely the road would eventually dead end somewhere at the base of the mountains. I just had to check all the branch roads that led to the individual cabins. I finally found their car parked by a cabin at the end of the road. They had already gone inside by the time I got there. 

Now what? I couldn't get close enough to see in the windows. I needed binoculars. If someone left, I couldn't get back to my car in time to follow them. I needed help. I called Pixie told her where I was and what was going on and asked if she could help.

She told me she was sending someone, but it would be about three hours. She said he would call me when he found my car. I gave her my license plate number and told her to tell him, I would come out and meet him at the car as soon as I heard from him.

She said his name was Roger and though he was a bit freewheeling, he had significant experience dealing with criminal elements.